• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the plan for this fall?

Scoot

It's application season and I know quite a few people in here are in the process of applying for tags in different states for different species. I'm curious what everyone has planned?

I'm going to apply for WY antelope, and given how many points I have, I should draw the unit we're applying for. I'm also applying for a WY or NM elk tag- both low odds draws that I likely will not get. Assuming I don't draw either elk tag, I'll go back to the drawing board and decide what to do. I'm going to put in with my son for ND mule deer too, so if I don't draw an elk tag, I'll focus on getting him out West a time or two, in addition to chasing whitetails on the ND side of the river more this coming year (I sure hope! I guess I can't really hunt them much less than I did this year, so only one direction to go...) If we don't pull a ND mule deer tag, I may look at MN bear as well. If I don't draw any of those tags, I will either do a backpack hunt on a leftover elk tag in MT or I'll just focus on getting my son his first deer. In truth, the tag I'm most concerned about this coming Fall is my son's. However, I'll apply and hope for a lucky draw in addition to that.

It sounds like a lot, but mostly is a sites of backup plans...

That's my plan, what's yours?!?

Jeez Scoot, don't overlook Spring Turkey. That season is coming right up, and I couldn't be more excited. But, you asked about this fall...

We have 5 preference points going into this year in AZ for a limited draw unit. We probably won't draw this year, but you never know. I just hope we draw before I get too old to do it right. Other than that, whitetails at home and will try to get back to the Black Hills this fall, Really missed that hunt last year.

Was considering MT antelope again, but that may have to wait for next year.

September Goose (MN), MN Black Bear (three pref points should draw this year), Mulies in October in SD, MN Deer Firearm, and somewhere amongst all that get my new four-legged hunting buddy out for some upland birds.

Going to be a great Fall of being outdoors.

Spring turkeys in Nebraska and MN.

Apply for MN Bear and should likely draw that.

Metro bow deer.

Idaho elk and deer OTC tags with my daughter.

More MN deer with my daughter.

I'll be buying points in WY for elk and maybe add deer and antelope in there too.

Jeez Scoot, don't overlook Spring Turkey. That season is coming right up, and I couldn't be more excited.

Ryan and I are hoping to team up with NoWiser again this year. We'll see how the timing of things works out, but Ryan is guaranteed a tag in any season again and I may have one if we go late enough. Doesn't matter much to me- if we can get Ryan a crack at a bird I'll be thrilled. If that doesn't fill a tag or come together I'll hunt locally again with Ryan. If we do that I'm sure I won't get a tag and I'll just try to get Ryan a crack at one again.

DonBo, I can check my info when I get back to my office, but you have a legit chance to draw with five points, as I recall. I can check my table tomorrow (if I can remember). Good luck! I need you to draw so I have some intel for when I get lucky and pull a tag! smile

I also am getting very excited for Spring Turkey. After a tag soup fall for deer and turkey, I thought maybe I would just use my shotgun this spring to up my odds for turkey, but the closer it gets the more amped I am to shoot one with my bow. I came so close last season 3 different times, but wasn't able to get it done. I will be back at it with the bow.

This coming fall- I am definitely not going to be able to get out west and hunt elk just yet. Being a teacher just makes that darn near impossible. Someday though... I was thinking about an OTC whitetail tag in ND. I have been thinking about it for 3 years now. It's time to put my money where my mouth is. If we get the late start to the school year I am anticipating (Sept. 8 is Tuesday after labor day). That would leave me with some days to hunt in the warm, early season and then back out again later in the fall. Maybe again in December, if the stars align.

Otherwise, I will be in search of bucks in Wright and Becker county. Getting my wife her first deer is up there too. That has to get done in September because the cold weather isn't for her just yet.

I am sure I will make a few trips to the duck/goose blind as always, and an annual trip to SW MN for pheasants.

Oh how fall excites me! I can't wait!

Spring turkey, going back to Colorado after another monster high altitude mulie, South Dakota for mule deer, apply for elk deer and pronghorn points for me and my son and whitetails in Illinois and MN. I might try to sneek out to SD to hunt pronghorn while I scout for mule deer also, depends on if the wife lets me get away an extra weekend.

oh the options...only if a guy had an endless supply of cash and vacation days.

To start - gotta go for the hat trick in KS. It appears that every year the number of applications go up and the tags are steady or dropping.

If KS results in a point I will hopefully do an OTC in ND or SD somewhere between Oct and Nov.

On top of that, keep after the local whitetails. Also kick in a few bucks for points in CO and WY for a hopeful elk trip one of the next few falls.

Going on opener this year for a 14 to 21 day hunt...

Sniper, I'm so jealous of this! I struggle to scrape out an 8 day trip. Two full weeks or more would up my odds of punching a tag a ton and would let me be a bit pickier on some trips too. I can't do it now because I'd miss my kids too much, my wife wouldn't be onboard with that long of a trip, and work would not allow it either (not very feasibly at least). Still, I'm jealous of the idea!

Spring turkey. Took my first with a bow last fall and the wife and I got drawn for the A season this spring. Chasing local whitetails here and a couple weekends in ND. Might put in my app for MN bear or just get the preference point, don't know if I'll have enough time yet.

This year, I really do not have any plans out of state. This spring turkeys in MN and WI. This fall hunt deer in MN. I would like to hunt some different areas in the MN. Hopefully get a over-a-counter bear tag. A tag im going to put in for is Iowa archery tag.

I have apps in for Wyoming elk, Utah deer and elk, and Arizona elk right now. I'll be applying for New Mexico again, as well, once the draw results for Wyoming come out. I'll end the application period by purchasing a preference point in Colorado for both deer and elk. I also purchased a couple of raffle chances for Colorado sheep through a conservation organization.

Realistically, the only tag I have much of a prayer of drawing is Wyoming elk with about a 50% shot at it. If I don't draw that I'll most likely be in Colorado with an OTC elk tag or Montana with a leftover, but may consider Idaho as well.

It's a fun (but expensive) time of the year!

I'm thinking of going back to Montana but having a hard time stomaching $996 ! !! But I have great connections out there for a great hunt . I have afew weeks to think it over . Turkey hunt A in coming soon too . I'm sure I will bow hunt and rifle around home for deer to . If nothing else back to SD , I love it out there

Im gona focus with halle this year, she really wants a deer with her bow, she just bought a new long bow and need to start going on that, I myself would like to concentrate more on a deer with the bow too. and ofcourse bear, Halle should draw in qouta this year and possibly me to so id like to go back for that huge cinnomon i messed up on two years ago if hes still around. Other than that......hmmmmmm

I have lower sights - I just want to release my first arrow at a deer this coming fall! Because of the "hunters-choice" areas I hunt in, I wanted to save my tag for rifle season and passed on a doe opening weekend of bow season, and regret it. Oh well, next year.

I need to hunt in the metro zone here to give me more time in bow stand. I practices the most of any year so far lat summer, and it went pretty well. I am pretty confident out to 40 now, but that is at targets and not deer, so still wanting to keep it within about 20-25 for first release...

No "cool" places or hunts for me yet, still learning the bow ropes...

Wyoming unit 38, been more than a few years since been west can't wait.

Sweet congrats on the draw! Did you have the points or did you get lucky in the random draw? If points how many did 38 require this year? Regardless of all that, good for you! I've never been in that area but it sure looks awesome and I've heard some really great reports from those who are willing to work. Good luck!

We had points two of us had max one had seven. Have put in for other units in past max areas no luck. Have 12 year old son and want to start building points with him and be on same page. Should be a good time hunted Colorado many years never been to Wyoming.

Cool- good for you SOL. If you hunted OTC in CO for many years, I predict you'll be pleased with what you find in 38. If you're willing to leave other road hunters behind, you'll find some good hunting. I've got a buddy who shot a 320" 6x6 there a couple years ago. I know there are lots of good opportunities to be had there. Have fun!

Being on the same page with your son will be a good deal! I can't wait to do that with my son when he's old enough and able!

I think this is the year I am finally gonna pull the trigger and try for elk in Colorado, figured grab an OTC but put in for a PP. I figured after talking about it for the past 5+ years its finally time to do it.

Mrklean, do it! You won't regret it! The only problem you'll have is carving out the time to go every year after this year, because you'll want to!

If no matter your level of physical activity, bump it up and get in better shape than you currently are in. You don't have to be a marathon runner to hunt elk, but the better shape you're in, the more fun it'll be.

So how did those draws turn out...some results are in...others not yet?

I am planning to be in Colorado OTC for archery opener and get after a few bulls early...hope its cool and not too wet! The draw there could change plans as 2 in the group are in the hybrid lottery now...low expectations but you never know!

Plan on buying a Wyoming point and possibly head there next year...I heard that whole process shook up a little this year so not sure how it will be next year. It will be here fast so better start the workouts!