• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adding another graph to my boat...

guyonacouch

I currently have an 898 SI Humminbird with a Terrova I Pilot Link running on my boat. Love this set up and everything it can do. The only thing I don't like is that I can't run GPS, sonar, and Side Imaging at the same time. I can view GPS/Sonar, GPS/Side, or Sonar/Side, but I want to see all three at once. I'm considering a couple options right now. Option 1 is to buy an open water transducer for my FL-20 Vexilar and substituting that for the sonar view. Option 2 is to get something like Humminbird's Helix series and use it strictly for regular sonar alongside my 898 with Side/GPS running on that. I like this option because this unit has an internal GPS and I could mount it on my ATV for ice fishing instead of using my small handheld GPS which can be difficult to use given the smaller screen. Option 3 is to do both and mount my vex in the front since I currently don't have a graph up there. Any other options you guys see as possibilities? Thanks!

I like your idea but instead of adding one for marking fish (installing another ducer) get one for GPS only.

I'd be tempted to buy a used 5"+ screen off graigslist that's capable of lake maps and has an internal GPS. You wouldn't need to install another ducer...just a power cord. You should be able to find something like this for well under $300.

Lowrance HDS 5's gen1 are going for cheap and will continue to fall in price this spring once the gen3's come out.

I personally would rather run the GPS off the 8 series than on a lower series. I've seen how much faster the HB 8 series processes the lake maps as you fly across the lake compared to my HB 7 series. I'd use the cheaper one for the Sonar.

Thanks for the advice - I'm not sure which I'd like better - to run my 898 GPS or to run a different graph for GPS only. I guess that's why I asked. I like the idea of my 898 for GPS because the iPilot Link allows me to select structure on my graph and go to/over it or spot lock it using the screen. I also like the idea of a dedicated screen for GPS because it's nice to have a large look at what you're fishing. Would a Lowrance play nice with a Humminbird or would there be any weird interference? Do I need to consider networking my graphs? I don't know any of the benefits to networking them. I only went with Humminbird because of the iPilot link - a lot of guys I fish with like their Lowrance graphs and I've considered putting one on the boat.

So I just changed my Lowrance council unit out on my boat to a HB 1199ci HD SI - hooked-up to a new Terova with I-pilot link. Never been on the water with any of this stuff yet. I had 2 Lowrance sonar/mapping units and one Lowrance 7200C global mapping unit. Right now, I've re-rigged it with the new 1199 AND the 7200c global map on the dash. I'm also going to keep the Lowrance LCX 26 on the bow for now, but intend to change to a HB unit soon. While wiring things up at the last minute, I decided to keep the 7200 mapping unit, but for no particular reason other than I already own it. ....Based on what you guys are saying here though, there may be a benefit to having the 7200 GPS mapping unit on the dash even with the new 1199ci? Obviously, it can't link-up with HB's, but it's a separate GPS mapping unit that I've already paid for. Thoughts?

We got the Elite 5 Ice Machine at the Duluth show in Dec. for $299 after rebate.Marine General had a bunch of them,still needed the Insight chip which was $80.We'll be getting a puck style transducer too as it's going on the bow of our boat because our old carpped out on us.We haven't used it a lot but when/where we have the chip(micro sd) seems pretty accurate compared to our Lakemaster UMFG with 1 ft contours.We did have some interference issues at 1st when using it with a Marcum vx-1

I went and looked at the Helix 5 and also the 600 and 700 Humminbird series graphs. Now I'm leaning towards a Humminbird 859 because it's not that much more to get a bigger screen when you don't get DI or SI. The basic 859 has internal GPS, so I could also mount it to my wheeler for ice fishing - does anyone know how these unit perform in cold weather? Like if I leave it on my wheeler all the time, will it function properly? Thanks!