• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northern pike type decoys

aquafang

I find that pike can be very territorial. There are times (not every time) that they will bluff charge or even blast a decoy that resembles a pike. Or, they attack the other decoy that's in the hole before the "other" pike can get it.

But like anything else... There are times they want nothing to do with them.

To me, the very best decoy in the world is another pike... So often if you pass on a fish, a bigger fish will be right behind it or will even be the one to scare the current fish away. I think pike are both territorial and cannibalistic. Maybe not "cannibalistic" per se, but at least opportunistic, and if they are hungry and a little pike is nearby, it becomes dinner.

I have a pretty "real" looking pike decoy I use. I call it "Mr. Jealousy." wink

My Bear Creek natural northern decoy has been in the mouth of many pike.

One of my go-to decoys. (10") I cleaned a 4 pounder this year that had a small Northern it it. To the best of my knowledge there are only Northerns in the lake although I seemed to do better there with a red-and-white.

I used to have a small pike colored bear creek. It was very abused from bigger pike and was eventually bit off. I now have one similar to Dooley's except I think his is 11 incher mine is a 14 . Doesn't matter sometimes they are not very friendly to their buddies. LOL

Mwal