• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help...Coyote hunting

I live in Fargo area, been out coyote hunting only a couple times but would like to have better results and get out more. Only got one so far this year on what I think was complete luck. Don't really have any idea what to do, what type of land to hunt? Swamps, or tree lines considering that is all there really is in Nodak. I do have an e-call but am unsure how to properly use it what calls to use... etc. Any tips would help.

If you've only been out a couple of times and you got one, I'd say your doing pretty good for a newbie.

Try to repeat what worked on your successful hunt. I havent hunted in the daytime but if it was me, I'd set up with a cross wind with my outline broken up with some cover and call to the swamp or thicker cover.

So say the wind is from the NW, the thick cover is to the NE. I'd set up SW of the cover with the caller NE of me. It's going to try and get down wind if it can so let it. I feel they come to the call better if they think they're going to have a chance at getting a wiff of what's making all the racket. What caller do you have?

Rob

From my experience, the wind plays a bigger role than what sounds you use. Try using coyote vocals more than anything else this time of year. They're more interested in breeding this time of year and give them time. If you can hear dogs in the distance barking at you the coyotes can hear you too. Sometimes it just takes them a while to come in.

Rob