• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

10 Inch Ion, what's the verdict?

Hawg

Well the year is in full swing and some of you have had the 10 inch drill for a while now. Do I want to buy one for my ION? I bet they make a bunch more of a mess in the house on fresh ice, right? I sure wish they would have just done a real 8-9 inch size drill.

They are nice for the fish house or if you are just drilling a few holes. They do throw a lot of chips, which might become an issue later in the winter. I am going to look into a slush bucket.

It was worth it for me. I love having 10in holes in the house. If I am running and gunning or planning on drilling a lot of holes I will put on the 8in.

My 8 inch has zero problems reopening holes. Once in a while when just trying to reopen a hole that's just come in a slight touch it wants to corkscrew down a little but it comes up easily. I think that's common on all augers, at least the 5 or 6 that I've had. No problem if they are frozen in only an inch or so from the sides, just the VERY lightly frozen holes only a putz like me would reopen anyway.

How does it work for reopening holes compared to the 8 inch? May buddy is having a hard time with the 8 re-drilling holes that have refroze.

The 10in does a good job at opening old holes. Only issue is that it does get stuck every once in a while. But all you have to do is put it in reverse and it pops right out.

Anybody ever adapt any other companies drill to an ION? I wish I had a full 8 or 8 plus. It's the only thing I don't like about the Ion but I am getting used to the smaller hole now after a couple years.

I made an adapter and tried a new, sharp 10" lazer on it and it didn't work nearly as well as the ION 10". I think a 8" would work good though.

I haven't reopened totally froze over holes but holes that shrunk to 8 to 9 inches. It worked good, it got stuck a few times but with the reverse it backs it out.