• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Pig and Jig???

Skater13

This could get ugly, as tackle preferences are so subjective and personal.

I have tried a few different kinds and have come to like the All-Terrain Weedmaster jig best. I fish it in foil, wood, docks, and rocks and it has performed very well. It has a nice sleek bullet shaped head that gets through most stuff cleanly, and I haven't lost one yet to a hang up. I do trim 9 strands out of the weed guard, as I find it's a little heavy.

I prefer their hooks over others, as they use a heavy guage wire and offer a standard round-bend shape. I've tried jigs with the wide-gap type hook and don't care for them.

They have nice skirts and don't skimp on the strand count.

Stanley is a close second for me.

Throw a dart when it comes to trailers - that's the most insignificant part of the combo - IMO.

Jigs are one of my favorite baits that I always have tied on. I fish jigs just about everywhere and everytime of year.

I have so many different brands of jigs that I don't even know which is which anymore... And it doesn't really seem to matter to tell you the truth - as long as the color and weight are right, they all seem to work just fine... Some do go through the weeds a little better - I prefer the eyelet set into the head to keep gunk from building on the eyelet, but under most conditions I don't find it to be a big issue. I prefer rattles just because that is what I have confidence in.

I do have a favorite trailer, although I'm not sure on the brand. I picked up a bunch quite awhile ago and put them in my jig box. I'm down to about 3 now, so I need to find more soon. It could just be a confidence thing though - once I get onto a pattern I like to stick with it!

I just trim the top of the weedguards a little to shorten them up (on some jigs). I don't thin them out at all anymore - I just seem to get more snags when I do and hook-ups aren't a problem with a good hook set. I do trim the skirts on all my jigs to the back of the hook.

Favorite jig is a black with rattles. Size depends on the conditions. Favorite pig is uncle josh's #11 or #18. I have various brands of jigs and I am not too picky there. I always trim my skirt up to the bottom of the hook.

The reason I like black is that I think some of the hawg bass have a favorite meal. That meal is bullheads. It is as close to a bullhead as it gets IMO.

What's IMO mean?

I second stanley and the other one I like are..I think it's spider something or other. I'll know when I see them.

I also trim the skirt and the weedguard. Boy do I hate it when I trim the weedguard to short.

Alright.. I may be giving up one of my best kept secrets... For those of you with tying vises and know how to tie a fly.. I make my own jigs.. I buy the heads and skirt material from Stamina... but before I put the silicone skirt material on I tie Bucktail on first. This give the jig a much slower fall and the combination of bucktail and silicone makes a lot more movement. I will usually trim the silicone at or just behind the bend of the hook.. but the bucktail willhang about 1" behind the hook... I call it... W.O.B.D... weapon of bass destruction!

Dan-I'll try and scan one tonight and e-mail it to you... The advantages of the W.O.B.D. jig is that you can fish a heavier jig that will act and fall like a lighter jig... The bucktail will also hold scent better than silicone if your a scent kinda guy...

I know dan had e-mailed me and asked if I marketed this jig, or was interested in maketing this jig.. unfortunatly no.. I dont and have no desire to either.. i was just throwing out the idea for those who like to tinker and make thier own lure to be a little different...

Exude,
Nice touch. Apple River Sports, at the intersection of HWY 8 & 46 in Wisconsin (46 heads south to Amery) ties those jigs. Cheap too -- 1.50 I think. My buddy picks up a bunch and throws some my way.

rascal

Exude,
True enough. I think how you fish a jig has more to do with anything than shape or color. That can range from swimming to letting it sit dead on the bottom. Although, rate of fall can make a big difference. Does a quick fall trigger aggressive fish or does a slow fall trigger sluggish fish? I tend to favor a slow fall, but I still think I may be discounting that quick fall trigger.

I do like a cone shape head best but I've always wondered about the eye configuration. I've heard and read that a horizontal eye cuts through weeds better than a vertical eye, but I don't see how that can be. Any insights?

rascal

Hmm, I like horizontly eye for wood and docks, a horizontle eye will crawl a hook over things that it could get stuck on.. I like verticle eye for weeds... It seems to work for me... and what works for me doesnt work for others and vise versa.. I deffinalty like horizontle line tie for wood.. I know that!

Was out on orchard lake today with a buddy (bucktailsam). I used a jig pretty much the whole day in the pads. I'm not much of a jg fisherman, but committed myself to using one today....I think I may have found one of my new favorite weapons. It worked great! Caught some real nice bass on it. I never had much confidence in hooking the fish with it, but I did some work with the weed gaurd and I think I got it down. Now I just need to go jig shopping.

Its a great lure and will def. become apart of my arsenal. Now I know why they are one of the most used bass lures. The brand I was using were terminator jigs.

Bob Downey

Well, by not so popular demand.. I was able to scan a WOBD.... This one here is a 1/2 oz WOBD in my Craw color.. it has 3 diff color skirt material.. and black and olive bucktail...

wobd.jpg

[This message has been edited by Exudedude (edited 09-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Exudedude (edited 09-12-2004).]

Exudedude,
Do you buy your products from stamina at the store or over the internet? I'm thinking about making my own jigs now, becasue it looks like it would be cheaper to make them myself.

The shipping fee is about $5, I'm wondering if it would be cheaper to drive to the store and get them there.

Bob Downey

Stamina is not a sponsor of this site.. and they kind of frown on posting sites that are not sponsors... However.. I am not aware of a mail order catalog sponsor so I can say this... If you do a google search for Stamina Fishing.. it will be the top of the list... They are based out of Minnesota.(I like to keep my money as close to home as possible)