• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbaits

rickmp

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but thought I'd ask anyway....What's your favorite color, blade style, brand, etc. of spinnerbaits? And which styles do you like for different presentations (i.e. clear vs cloudy water)

Rickmp-

I throw only a few different colors... White, Shad(white and grey), White and chartruce, and Firetiger(red, yellow, orange)...

As for brand, I make my own from parts...I dont actually mold my own.. but I buy pre molded but no blades or skirts.. so I buy parts and make them myself.

If I am fishing clear water.. I usually will fish a single willow leaf blade, in Gold...sometimes I will fish a tandem with a small colorado silver blade in front.. In stained water, I will go with a single large indiana shaped blade...

The key is with stained water you want a lot of thump.. in clear water you want the flash...

In my opinion the spinnerbait is probably the most versitle lure you can throw... limmited only by your imagination!

[This message has been edited by Exudedude (edited 09-03-2004).]

In rivers I like a colorado blade to give off that Thump, Thump pulse. For smallies I like orange, black, chart, and blue.

In lakes I like the willow blades and natural colors for da largies.

But it always helps to mix it up. I got on a pretty good spinnerbait bite on Medicine lake before with a single colorado blade (gold blade) with a purple skirt. Maybe they were just active? That's the one I had tied on and I was getting nice bass/pike. If ain't broke don't fix right? Of course the blade came off of it on some weeds or something. Arr! I do like the quad blades though, kinda hard to find now a days.

this weekend we had our best luck with white 1/8 or 1/4 oz. tandum( willow leaf with a colorado) spinnerbaits for bass. we caught a lot of norhterns doing this too! biggest bass we caught was 4 lbs.all caught shallow.( 2 - 6 ft in broken weeds) del

I use willow leaf blades more, just because they rip through the weeds easier and get down deeper and that is the type of cover I like to fish with spinnerbaits. For muddy rivers and that type of stuff, the single colorado blade is hard to beat. The colorado puts off more vibration and is easier for bass to locate in discolored water. I'd have at least a couple of each in different colors and experiment. Tandem blade vs. single, willow leaf vs. colorado, etc. 1/8 oz. up to 1 oz., etc. They all have their time and place...

This summer, I became a fan of Betts Spinner baits and Johnson's Beetle Spins. They are cheap (like $1.19), and yet not too large, so I seem to catch more sizes of fish, as well as not get snagged as much as if I were fishign with a large spinner bait.

Because these are so cheap and not as likely to get snagged, I use them a lo on the river, and I've had good success!