• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

swimming jigs

st.crioxfishin

I have heard that swimming white jigs in the fall can be a productive pattern. I have yet to give it a try, but was thinking about doing it over labor day weekend while I was at the cabin.

Can anybody give me some tips on maybe where to fish these jigs? I'm also wondering if anybody else has had some decent success swimming white jigs.

Thanks for any information provided!

b. downey

To be honest... Swimming a jig is not just a fall pattern.. It can be done year round with quite a bit of success. And it doesnt always have to be a white jig either.. But white is the most popular color...

Fish it anywhere you would fish a spinnerbait. Thats the way I look at it. Around wood, weeds, docks, rocks...With weed lines and weed flats probably the most popular areas..

Its really quite easy to fish, just make you cast and slowly reel pumping your rod. You can change if up by reeling faster at times and kikking it and let the lure rest on the bottom then start it back up as well.. There are no rules, just fish it!

Good luck and please let us know how it worked for you!!! Take pictures if possible!

Thanks for the info guys. I like to fish spinnerbaits as well, and have been having some pretty good luck on them latley, so it looks like I will definatley give swimming a jig a try. I haven't had much luck fishing jigs just in general though, so I guess we will see how it goes. I mainly will fish plastics instead of a jig, but theres always room to learn something new.

I will definatley post to tell how it went when I get back after labor day, thanks again.

Bob Downey

Just got back from the cabin tonight. I was swimming a jig pretty much all afternoon today (overcast, rain off and on). It acually worked great I got three nice bass. I was mainly fishing it in the reeds where it was about 5-7 feet of water on the edges I also had some strikes in the sparse pads. There was one problem though...I missed about 6 bass on it. They would hit it and I wouldn't hook 'em. I'm not much of a fan of jigs because I have problems hooking the fish when I get bites, so I usually use plastics. But this technique really was producing bites and I want to stick with it and figure it out.

I think it could have been from lack of experience. Also I was using braided line(no stretch and maybe I was reacting to quick with the sensitive line?) and a MH rod...would this affect my chances of hookin the fish?

Exudedude, and others I'm wondering what type of equipment you use when swimming jigs(line size and rod).

Thanks for any info provided

Bob Downey

Swimming jigs will work everywhere, lakes and rivers. I have had great success from early spring through late fall. RC tackle makes a great swimming jig that I have been using for the last couple of years. It is a very weedless jig, which is an important factor when choosing a swimming jig, with a good hook. I think a swimming jig works best in clear water so I choose a color that matches the minnows or small panfish in the area. I like black, smoke, pumpkins, pearls and red. I use a 7' rod and 17lb XT for most of my jig swimming. I also like a high speed reel because I burn the jig just under the surface and over the vegetation to trigger strikes. I would also recommend that you use a trilene knot over other knots. It is a smaller knot when tightend down which will not catch vegetation at the nose of the jig. A 4-5 inch single grub for a trailer is a must. It gives the bait more of a sleek fish like appearance at a glance. Cast it out and burn it back.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I just need to stick with it and I'll eventually figure out how to hook them well.

Clay P.,
I agree with the grub, thats what I had on for a trailer and it worked darn good. I was using a white jig and trailer.

Bob Downey