• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer head mount replica suggestions

Wow, that is terrible! frown

I think I have heard of that, they have remade some of the world class racks to use at shows and events. You need very good pictures of the mounts. If he lost everything hopefully some friends or relatives may still have some pictures of his mounts that he may have shared with them? They use a new form and cape and try and reproduce the antlers as close as they can. I can only imagine the cost would be crazy? I wonder if his Insurance would cover it? confused

Did they burn completely away? All you really need to save are the antlers and then they can mount them with a new cape. I would also say that when we had our house fire both my bucks, my rooster and my mallard where all black with soot, but the fire restoration company got them all cleaned with no smell or residue, they are all up in our new house and you would never know they went through that.

Good luck to your friend. Post fire life sucks for a while, been there done that...

That is a huge bummer, but glad to not hear about any loss of life. The property can be replaced.

I just did a search and found a guy that does antler reproductions. Tim Hidde in Pequot Lakes. It sounds like he is more into casting an existing pair of antlers, but maybe he could at least point you in the right direction. Also joining a forum like taxidermy dot net should get some questions answered fast.

My Mom's house burnt down (total loss) shortly after I moved out after high school. It was very hard on her and my younger sister and two brothers, but we still had each other, which is what matters most.

Replacing a deer head, is hard if your looking to have the antlers the same as before. Getting the size and shape could be done but would be very costly. The head and hide is one thing, but those antlers, you had better have a big check book.

I have done reproduction deer heads but that is buying a a rack that a guy wants to display. Such as a copy of Ohio's record book buck, the Jordan buck or some super monster just to claim he was one the those that were able to have a copy. If they claim they shot it it could found out. Then they look like fools.

I would have the sames thing with my deer heads, plus my Minnesota prints, I have the first seven years. All are number 180 of what had been signed. I thought that would make the collection worth a little more.