• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha 115 four stroke or Evinrude 135 ho

MN Hooksetter

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking at possibly getting a new Ranger VS1780, their aluminum deep V boat. The max hp rating is 135 and only Evinrude has that outboard with the 135 HO. I know the Yamaha 115 four stroke is almost bulletproof and would push the boat decently enough. I'm a bit leery of the Evinrude etec due to it's past issues. I would like to max out the horsepower, but if the reliability of the etec is questionable then maybe its not worth it. I mostly bass fish with some walleye fishing mixed in and also have four kids and my wife that like to go out too. Possibly some tubing and/or water skiing in the future with the kids. Any opinions on both outboards and hp difference.? Thanks.

I'm a big Yamaha outboard fan. I've had three and they all worked without any thought put into them. However I'd do the 135 Etec in your case. I'd wager you'll get about 5-7 MPH faster but I'd mainly do it so when the boats loaded you aren't underpowered. I had an underpowered boat once. It was great with 2 guys in it but 3 or more it stunk.

I guess how I'd look at is with the 135 you know you have the power, what you don't know is how well the motor will run. I'd have faith in an Etec.

The top speed of a boat changes as the square root of the power of the motor.

A 115 to 135 is about 15% more power. The square root of 1.15 is about 1.07, so you will get 7% more top end. If the boat goes 40 mph that is about 3 mph difference.

From personal experience... I replaces a merc 115 two stroke with a Suzuki 140 4 stroke a few years ago. Boat is a 1998 1775 pro-v. Top end increased by maybe 3-4 mph on gps.

Pretty sure honda or suzuki has a outboard in that class. Which I would take anyday over etec anything.

Good luck

Suzuki has a 115 and a 140. Merc used to have a 135 but now only has 115 and 150. Honda does have a 135.

Since that is an aluminum boat I wouldn't be as concerned about going with the max HP rating as I would be if it were a glass boat.

Having said that, I am in the boat of the Suzuki/Yamaha fans over the Etec.

I am not going to get into too many details, but I did TONS of research prior to getting my new boat a couple years ago and Suzuki and Yamaha quickly rose to the top.

I have a Suzuki 150 and I couldn't possibly be any happier with it. Its incredible.

My boat is actually rated for a 200, but I achieve speeds of 44 on GPS or 42 with the family. I had a different prop on for a period of time and I was just about hitting 50. A 200 would be ridiculous on the boat I have. Cruising speed and getting up on plane are far more important. If propped correctly you will pop right up with a 115 and be able to cruise along quite nicely and conserve fuel and save THOUSANDS over buying a larger motor.

Isn't there something in-between? Doesn't anyone make like a 125 or 130? I have a '98 1750 Fishhawk with a 2-stroke 115 (max for that year, now they're rated 125) and it moves around fairly well. Your BOAT is about 2 inches longer and I believe holds four more gallons of gas (I'm talking about the BOAT). Weight seems about the same. I can get 41 (GPS) on a good day (19 prop). Usually right around 39. It will tube 2 people on a bigger tube more than safely recommended with 3-4 other people in the boat (myself, observer, and the next two riders).

STILL TALKING ABOUT THE BOAT!! The 115 4-stroke would be "fine". You do NOT want "fine" on a brand new boat. You will rue that decision 15 minutes after you make it and then for the rest of your life. From what I've read on here (about a year or so ago), the E-Tec problems were primarily in the big motor category (150hp and up). You are buying a BRAND-SPANKING NEW BOAT! That tells me that you can dig around a little and either confirm/debunk the E-Tec or find a more suitable alternative than a 115.

Isn't there something in-between? Doesn't anyone make like a 125 or 130? I have a '98 1750 Fishhawk with a 2-stroke 115 (max for that year, now they're rated 125) and it moves around fairly well. Your BOAT is about 2 inches longer and I believe holds four more gallons of gas (I'm talking about the BOAT). Weight seems about the same. I can get 41 (GPS) on a good day (19 prop). Usually right around 39. It will tube 2 people on a bigger tube more than safely recommended with 3-4 other people in the boat (myself, observer, and the next two riders).

STILL TALKING ABOUT THE BOAT!! The 115 4-stroke would be "fine". You do NOT want "fine" on a brand new boat. You will rue that decision 15 minutes after you make it and then for the rest of your life. From what I've read on here (about a year or so ago), the E-Tec problems were primarily in the big motor category (150hp and up). You are buying a BRAND-SPANKING NEW BOAT! That tells me that you can dig around a little and either confirm/debunk the E-Tec or find a more suitable alternative than a 115.

Well, i've dug around quite a bit in the past few weeks and the E-Tec might be the most debated outboard on the internet. Many people love them and many dislike them. It sounds like a lot of the problems were in the mid to late 2000's and a few sporadic issues over the last couple of years. It sounds like some of the major issues may have been worked out??(powerheads, lower units) I talked to the salesman at the Ranger dealership and his thoughts were that Evinrude has a black eye from the mid 2000's but they've come along way since then. He said I can get any brand motor I want for the boat so I don't think there is any incentive for him to try and push the E-Tec.

I also have a friend with a 99 Fishhawk with the Yamaha 115 four stroke and it's decent, a little doggy out of the hole with multiple people on board. This new aluminum Ranger weighs about 200 pounds more than his boat so I'm not sure if that much of a weight change will make a difference. I'm sure the difference in hulls may have some effect as well. Coming from the boat that I have now, that is both underpowered and has had motor problems, I just don't want to deal with those issues anymore, or at least for a long time. It sounds like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard spot!

I upgraded motors on my boat in 2011 with a 75 Evinrude. Have not had any problems with it, great hole shot, dial back to 3/4 throttle and cruise faster than my previous motor at WOT, plus it just sips gas. I put about 225 miles on when I am at the lake for 2 weeks, and use 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon of oil at the 100 setting. I have it put on the computer each year and have not had any faults or issues. I am looking at upgrading boats this year and Evinrude 115 is at the top of the list for me.

My Dad bought a 2002 Suzuki DF140 brand new. Back then 4 strokes were just starting to come on. The Suzuki 140 is a hot motor, it is a firecracker. He uses it only 3 or 4 times a year, putts around his lake and 1- 2 weeks on Rainy Lake where it really gets a work out.. He has never done anything to it except change oil.. Great motor...The most noticeable thing is how quiet the motor is and the throttle response power curve on that motor is so smooth.. Meaning that when you increase the throttle lever it's linear to the power of the motor.... You can drive it, ramp up the rpm's really smooth and smooth down off plane, it's sort of a linear throttle response if that makes sense?

The ETEC's throttle response curves are sensitive is the best word I can describe... When you barely move the throttle the boat moves as you expect, but then when it's time to plane you move the throttle 1/10 of the way and it jumps out of the hole.. Then you back down... The throttle is so sensitive it takes getting used to if that makes sense...I actually like the throttle response curve on the suzuki, it seems more linear and smooth if that makes sense... Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say.

The Etec is almost like driving an 80's/90's turbo car, it goes, then when you move the throttle just a little bit, bam it explodes...Honestly when we have 4 guys and all gear, you have to practice holding the throttle back so as to not spill the lures/hand soap from the dash of the boat.

Really, when you have people in the boat, and towels, skiis, fishing gear, you never really just sit there at a stand still and drop the hammer. When you do that in the Etec everything goes flying, and you better make sure passengers are holding on. But honestly, when do you really ever do that, not that often.

The ETEC is fine when you get used to it and it's sensitive power band throttle (relative to the Suzuki). I have never used a Yamaha 4 cycle, but every one I've seen have been reliable, when I was in Italy, the yamaha 4 cycle outboards were on most of the water taxi's in Venice.. what does that tell you..

I remember my 17 year old son who doesn't drive boats much drove the ETEC 150 last year..He clicks it in gear.. then moves the throttle and lures/braid scissors/paper maps went flying, the cooler between the seats went to the back.. he looks over at me wtih open eyes, sorry.. I said that's ok, just get used to it.. He was surprised by the take off... But then after going down plane, up plane 5 or 6 times, he was really smooth with it.....He says', sorry, it's really sensitive..

%90 of the time you ramp up slowly and after bow rises then you put the coals to it.. I would take either engine SUZUKE DF or ETEC.

My family has a 2006 60 HP ETEC on our pontoon original owners. We have never done anything to that either, love that motor. The plastic oil tank leaked a few years ago, replaced plastic tank. Great motor.

A year ago we bought a 2003 Alumacraft Trophy 175 with a re powered 2007 ETEC 150. It's been great so far but has low hours. It is scary fast out of the hole and top end... We should throw a higher pitch because it has soo much power.

I think you're right, higher power ETECS 150 HP or more, buy 2006 or later and you're good.. Earlier ones, I don't know...

The 2002 suzuki DF140 my Dad loves. He always buys american/is a teamster, and this Japanese motor is the first Japanese motor he has ever bought, but after buying the doggest dog of all motors, the 1999 150 HP Optimax, it broke down 3 out of 4 years we used in Canada. Overheating, Fuel coolers, it would randomly die coming off plane to idle in a bay, he was so mad at Mercury and how they treated him after the OptiMax fiasco he is done with them forever. The 4 cycle choices in 2002 were few and far between. The rhetoric at the time was that the Honda's were really heavy, the Yammy's were unproven and the Suzuki's were good to go. This was 13 years ago.. The mercury's are off the board for me, with the problems our family had with that 1999 Opti-Max, they as a manufacturer the way we were treated are simply off the radar for our family. I know the newer opti's are better, and I don't mean to [PoorWordUsage] current Optimax owners, but it is what it is, and history doesn't lie. Funny thing is my Dad paid $11,500 for that dump box optimax, then 4 years later paid $10,500 for the suzuki, as it was last year's model... The Suzuki was cheaper.. I know motors are more expensive than that, not sure what new Suzuki 140's go for, but this motor no VTEC or anything like the new/newer motors have. Honestly how can you get better. Plus Suzuki at that time was still establishing themselves, so he got a deal..

The difference between this suzuki and the 1999 Optimax were night and day. I believe if you find an early 2000's suzuki/yammy you're good.. ETEC, get 06 or newer.. my 2 cents.

I believe Yamaha & Suzuki wrote the book on building the 4 stroke powerheads back in the early 2000's as they made most of them on the market.Personally I wouldn't go with anything < than 80% of the max rating.We have the Yamaha 115/4 on our 02 Crestliner FH which is the max rating & it's been trouble free.

Just FYI again. I was dragging little Suzuki outboard motors around the Alaska and Yukon bush back in the late 70's and early 80's. Still had a little 2.5 horse on a duck boat up until a couple years ago.

They have been at it for a while!!

I am in this same boat right now. As I made a post of this same question and then found this thread. I am also looking at getting the vs1780 and trying to pick a motor.

Hooksetter which motor did you decide on and how do you like it?