• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air Filter

SkunkedAgain

I've got a 97 Polaris Indy with triple Mikuni carbs. It's been on its last leg for five years now but still keeps running. However, when it's hard to start it's prone to backfiring up through the air intake and will destroy the filter. This happened on the last trip. The main foam filter is fine but the thin top filter was burned to a crisp.

I'll order a few more but what can I use in a pinch? A t-shirt over the top to keep the snow filtered out? I took a spare furnace filter, removed the wire, and stretched that over the top. Is there any reason I can't use more of those cut up instead of paying $10 each for new OEM filters?

Air filters you say? Does it have after market filters on the carbs or does it still go into the air box? confused

What ever you do you need to fix the backfire issues or your going to still have the problem with any new "filters"?? you put on.

Are you maybe talking about this on the top of the air box?

full-27051-52797-images.jpg

Yup, that's it. No aftermarket carb filters, just the OEM box in your picture. The foam box is fine but that 1/8" foam piece on the top (left side of photo) is blown out. The lower seals are shot and a bunch of other things are gone on this sled. I've been in no-maintenance mode for a while now until she goes. The backfire happens on rare occasions so I'm not concerned about fixing it.

So can I just keep stretching an air filter or something similar above the foam box? Where can one find bulk, thin foam? I didn't see anything at Menards yesterday.

I don't think it's a big deal to run without it. It is mainly there to keep the powder snow out of the air box and motor. There is not a lot of road dust getting into a sled in the winter! wink

I would just get another of the right fitting thing they don't cost much. The last thing you want to do is duct tape some rigged up chunk of foam on it and have that fall in the box and sucked into the carb! eek