• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Powerstroke

New Mexico cow elk hunt

I want to start by giving a huge thank you to Scoot and NoWiser for sharing their time and stories with me and the rest of the forums. They created an interest in me to learn about elk hunting. Both of them have answered questions for me and NoWiser has gone above and beyond in sharing his experience and gear with me. And as always, thanks to Rick for creating these forums that allow us to share our love of the outdoors.

Last year I started a new job and in the process, one of my trainers was a fellow hunter. As we talked about hunting he mentioned a landowner tag elk hunt that he and some other coworkers did every winter. Being a new person, I tried to learn as much as possible without pushing the envelope. Well, fall came and as conversations turned to hunting season, I made a comment regarding their elk hunt and trying to tag along. My coworker asked if I was serious and offered to float the idea to the rest of the group. I assured him I wanted to go.

After passing a vetting process with some of the older members, I was offered a spot in their New Mexico cow hunt. I did not have a rifle that was up to the task of elk hunting so that was the first step. I settled on a Weatherby Vanguard in .308, topped it with a Vortex scope and after lotsof shooting, I settled on Nosler Accubond 165gr ammo.

I was told to plan for temps below zero and deep snow. I'm from MN so that did not concern me in the least. When Jan. 10 came around we hit the road for New Mexico. We were hunting 10,000 acres of private property using landowner cow tags. We arrived in town and settled in for the week. A quick orientation for me showed that the "town herd" was in the area. WHAT A SHOCK for me to see 300-500 elk hanging out on a hillside in the afternoon. The temps were in the 30's and there was no snow except on north slopes.

Well, thats as close as we would come to cows on this hunt. The cow herd did not cross on to our property during the entire week. We had threats of snow for 3 days and only picked up an inch. Temps reached the 40's most days and the elk remained in the timber on the snowy hillsides.

I did have some excitement and I saw elk within shooting range every day. Unfortunately they were all bulls! I know that its hard to complain about seeing so many bulls, but they weren't the goal for this trip. On day 2, I was glassing a hillside covered in oak brush when I pulled away from my bino's to see a 5x5 bull standing 80yds from me. I think I was more startled than he was. I had never been so close to an elk! He turned on his heels and ran across the creek and up the hillside I had been glassing. There had been 3 bulls in the group, the 5x5, a raghorn and a fawn bull that appeared to be a "button bull", if there is such a thing. I could plainly see pedicles, but no antler. It was a legal antlerless elk, but I wasn't sure and I wasn't sure if the landowner had a rule about bulls, so I passed.

We spent the next 2 days chasing that button bull because it was the only antlerless animal we found on the property. It never came together. One morning I spotted 7 bulls in a huge meadow. They were more than a mile away so we created a plan to hunt them in the evening and the following morning. That night we set up right by the wood edge where the elk had gone in. Just before sunset, 7 bulls exited the woods and entered the meadow. The first one out was a majestic 7x6!. He was certainly the stud bull of the group and made no question about it. He as followed by a equally impressive 6x6. After that 4 more bulls came out, fighting in pairs the whole way. Not only did I see 7 bulls that were healthy 4x4's or bigger, but the last 4 were sparring in front of us for 5-10 minutes, all within 200yds.

Its hard to say we had bad luck. We had the wrong kind of luck. I wouldn't mind having bull luck for a while, just not when I'm holding a cow tag. By the end of the week, the cows had moved to within 300yds of our property line, but they never did cross over.

I can honestly say I was not disappointed with my trip. I really wish I would've brought some meat home, but it was an awesome trip with amazing scenery and I was in elk every day. The fire has been lit and I cant wait to do it again!

I was hoping to share a story of success, but we all know that you can't win them all. I hope you all remember a similar story and reflect on it fondly. I'm sorry I don't have many pictures, I was spending too much time trying to hunt to take lots of photos. The gun will have to wait until next year to log its first kill.

Andy

Andy,

It sounds like a fun time to me! To be that close to elk in the wild is a wonderful thing! They really are amazing animals and so much fun to be around. The country they call home is pretty great too!

Thanks for posting your report! I'm glad you had a fun trip, even if you didn't bring home any meat. I have a feeling it won't be too long and you'll have a freezer full of elk. It looks like you may be showing the first signs of "elk fever." There is no cure! Just wait until you hear a bugle!

Congrats on the fun trip!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Great looking plots and Set-ups! My early season clover plots are doing very well! This weekend I will work on the fall brassica plots, have 3 small ones, about 1/2 acre each to put in. Can't get to them with a tractor so will be doing the tilling with a walk behind garden tiller. Going to be a ton of work but this rain will be great to soften up the ground. I will also be sliding a few portables around and I need to finish to more enclosed permanent stands. I usually do all this stand work in April/May but this past spring I just did not get to it...
    • Nice! I will put a few out this weekend.....
    • Next up was installing the floor. We went with 3/4” marine grade plywood. I also coated both sides and all edges with a water sealer just to be sure.    After installing the plywood floor we put the furring strips in and ran the wiring.    Each wire goes back the front wall where I made a little panel. The front wall has an opening for a 55” TV that sits flush in the wall. The little squares above and below the tv opening are for in wall speakers.  This is half of the wires the other side of the panel has the other half.  This is all the positive wires coming through the front wall and behind the panel. I forgot to take a picture of the back of the panel after I cleaned it up and put the negative wires through.  Here is a picture of the front of the panel while I was booking everything up. All the positive wires on the left and negative on the right. My wiring is a lot different than most shacks. I’ve never made a panel like this before so I didn’t really know what to order. The terminals that the wires go into are called din rail terminal blocks the snap onto a little piece of aluminum called a din rail.  Later I found stackable ones that would have saved space but I like how it turned out. Each terminal block has a slot in it where you can put a jumper. So everything that was going to be on one switch would be jumpered together. Things on a different switch would be jumpered and so on. The terminal blocks have a hole on the top where one wire comes in and gets screwed down to hold it and there is the same on the bottom. So once the terminal blocks are jumpered to things you want on the same switch you only need one wire out the bottom. Things that were ran off of the switch went out the bottom and over to the relay board. You do the same for each thing you want to run off a different switch just run a wire to a different relay. The long green rectangle thing on the right is a relay board. Our house has 12 light switches not all of them are used yet but they can be so I bought a relay board with 12 spdt relays. The green square on the left is an arduino which is basically like a mini computer chip that you can program. I’ll explain more once I get to what our switches look like. The bottom right of the panel is for the trailer lights and brakes and all the stuff that hooks up to the truck.  I eventually replaced these normal terminal blocks with the din rail style.  Here is the wiring panel all finished up.  The reason for using all the relays and arduino was so I could use this light switch and eventually be able to control everything from a smart phone. In the fish house we have 2 of these switches which each have 6 buttons on them. Each switch has a set of cat 5 cable running to it. One set is connected to the atduino board and sends a signal saying the button was pressed.  The other cat 5 wire is to send a signal to turn on and off a little light next to the button when it is pressed   Here is the back of the switch. So basically how it works is the arduino has pins on it that can send or receive signals it also has pins that can send 5 vdc or 3vdc. So one wire from the arduinos 5 v pin hooks up to the back of the switch where it says sc (switch common 5v coming in). A different wire connects a different arduino 5 v pin to the terminal that says pc (pilot common which is just the little lights next to the buttons). So when a button is pressed a brief 5 v signal is sent from the arduino to the switch which goes through board on the switch and to the wire terminal that is for that button the signal is then sent back to a digital pin (receiving pin) of the arduino on a digital pin. The arduino has to be programmed to receive different signals on the pins you want. Once the arduino sees that a button was pressed it sends a signal over to the relay board saying a button was pressed close the relay that corresponds to that button. When the relay closes it allows the 12v to go to whatever you want to turn on. The nice thing about how this system works is everything can be changed in a matter of minutes. Say I wanted to have the ceiling lights be on button 4 instead of 1 you just have to change a couple of numbers in the code and plug the arduino into your computer and upload the updated code. I’m sure I lost most people right away and I’m not sure if anyone else would even want to do something similar but If so you can message me and I can try and explain it better. Before this I’ve never done anything like this so I had to learn all of this online and how to write little bits of code and do all that which was fun but also frustrating at times since I didn’t have anyone to go to with my questions.  Not sure If this video will work or not.  4B8EE058-806B-4BF6-8DD8-8FC76BE46BD0.MOV  
    • Everything is going strong now. Been making salsa for the last week or so, have been doing abt's with the jalapenos,  thinking on letting them go red to spread it out a bit. The early girls are kicking em out but the big boys have a bit. Canned two jars of pickles with more coming down the pipe, but I'm gonna hafta start grilling some zucchini,  can only make so much bread.    Bell peppers seem to be running a little on the small side, starting to change colors but was hoping for some better sized ones for stuffing. Snap peas did good out of the gate but are trailing off already,  ya gotta love this time of year!!
    • juicy or freeze dried?
    • Most of the state has been experiencing sunny, warm, and beautiful summer days. The forecast predicts some rain over the next day or two, but otherwise it looks like warm temperatures and clear days and nights. Canoers at Mays Ledges at the Brule River State Forest.These mild and sunny days have been great for canoeing and kayaking and many river water levels are moderate and perfect for paddling. The lower Wisconsin Rivers is running just about normal for this time of year, with many sandbars popping up.Much of the state has been hovering at moderate fire danger this week, which means, in the right place, wildfires can happen. Nearly 60 wildfires have occurred across the state in July, mostly caused by fireworks or sparks from equipment. .
    • Looks to me like a great fishing cart...mount some pole holders on the sides and a cup holder for your beverage and life is good!!🎣
    • i still have some from 2016, most from last year yet but i like to stay ahead. how do they say it........i like to let them MELD!!!!!!!!!😁 that was a 1/2 bushel, smaller batches makes it not so over whelming. especially on a work nite. 
    • Nothing better then homemade pickles. We did 84 quarts last year but the kids didn't eat all of them so we are going to skip a year.