• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drill/clam plate Auger "wobble" problem

jmg

Used my Drill/plate auger yesterday for the first time this season. Have it attached to Strikemaster lazer 7" auger with a Strikemaster extension on it that I bought last year. Checked everything Fri. and all seemed tight and well, but had a terrible time with the auger wobbling yesterday. Hard to drill through the 12" or so of ice. Seems to have some looseness at the point where the drill and auger join at the bearing area. Any suggestions? Otherwise, with the better batteries, it had plenty of power. Could the wobble occur if the blades are getting a bit dull. Worked well last year except for the battery life.

It's the clam extension wobble! I have the same issues. I noticed it straight out of the box with my brand new lazer 7". It does it less with the 6". If you look at the cutting hole edge walls the ice hole is not where as smooth as the one cut by my power gas auger. Plus im not getting more then 500" ice per battery.

Mine wobbled too until I flipped it into first gear and tightened the inset screws but it still wobbles a tad at the start, have to apply a bit of pressure but once it gets going it cuts like butter...my issue is that the rod that presses on the trigger gets stuck, dern near pulled me to my knees but made a heck of a wet spot.... lol crazy

Andy, do you think the extension is slightly bent or what? I remember last year when I used it without an extension, the hole walls were quite smooth and it cut much faster, but then the ice got so thick that I needed the extension. Maybe I'll try taking the extension off and try it and see what happens. Thanks for the input, everyone.