• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Turkeys and Foodplots?

FishandFowl

OK so I went hunting last spring for the first time and was lucky enough to bag a nice gobbler full fan and a 9.5 inch beard. The problem is now I keep thinking about going again. I have full access to some property with birds in the area and for future success I would like to plant a few acres into food plot. I have searched a little but not really sure what to do in Minnesota or the laws involved. What types of plants are attractive and will help hold birds? Are there any specific things that will help for the spring/Winter? Obviously, I am looking 1 to 2 years out but what the heck.

Thanks

Greg

Turkeys will eat young green growth of grass and clover. They also like seeds from grains like corn, soybeans, wheat, oats, and rye.

A simple plot would be a mix of spring planted oats and clover. Make it long and narrow so they can browse it as they move along. Turkeys will browse the young oats and clover and when it matures they will eat the oat seeds and clover flowers. Should be a good spot to pattern some turkeys for fall hunting. The next spring the turkeys should be drawn to the young clover as things warm up, so might be a good spot to set up in the spring for calling.

I don't know much about turkey hunting but have observed them quite a bit the past few years, so just some guesses but I think it would work.

I can't disagree with NWKR's input but if you're anything like me, time may run short in the spring to get one planted and growing.

Given the amount of use I've seen a freshly turned field get and the camera evidence I have of bird usage on my freshly tilled plot last summer, I'm going to look to keep it simple and just till mine up a few days before season. The access for them to freshly turned over bugs/seeds, etc is a great magnet as well.

I think the disking up sounds pretty good as well. For the oats and clover I was thinking it would best to be planted in June so it would be good for the fall and following spring.

Winter rye and clover planted in late July should also work well. The rye starts again in the spring when it gets above freezing and the green shoots would be good food. Bugs should also be in that stuff.

Turkeys were in this area of cow pasture quite a bit that has clover and other grasses. The date of June 4 is correct, this is in an area that had WSI of around 200 last winter.

TomSouth.jpg

Same spot a few days earlier:

TomSouth2.jpg

This picture is on some winter rye planted early August 2013, there is also a jake behind this one that showed in another picture:

Tom.jpg

Nice Pic's. I will be talking to the landowner tomorrow to see what I will be able to do. The farmed acres of his property were in beans last year and rotate into corn. I am planning on a strip adjacent to a drainage and wooded area if all goes well. I will look at the layout next time I am up there to set cameras.

Thanks

Greg