• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shipping a boat

bigeyes75

Has anyone purchased a boat from down south and had it shipped to Minnesota? I am looking to purchase a boat from Arizona and have it shipped to Minnesota. Looking for approximate prices and recommendations for doing it. Thanks.

How big is the boat? They usually charge on beam width. Avg. price for a 8-9' wide boat is $2 a mile, roughly 1,800 miles from AZ to here, $3,600. A friend of mine used boathauling USA out of Isle for his walleye boat and that's what they charged him.

Ouch....it is an 18ft Ranger Reata 2013.

Can get a great deal but with shipping it might not be worth it.

They must charge more for boats then they do cars. I have had friends who have shipped cars from $600-$1800 from Florida and California.

Unfortunately, those people don't ship boats.

Find a snowbird willing to drag it back for you.

I'd bet someone like my dad would do it, except they drive a car to AZ for the winter instead of their truck. But their are plenty of people who do drive trucks down and back.

Don't know how to find someone like that though. And not sure how insurance would work on that, unless it was a friend and not someone doing it "for hire".

I know the "Tommy Tightwads" will blow a gasket but, you know your situation the best. Personally, I'm betting $3600 is quite reasonable. I would figure how much for gas, food, motel, vehicle wear/tear, YOUR TIME (do you really want to burn vacation time for this?), etc. round trip would run you. I know I would not want to burn vacation doing this. You figure you make 50K/yr. That's $1000 right there (you figure this adventure is going to take 5 days minimum). Just see it as part of the cost of the boat.

Ouch....it is an 18ft Ranger Reata 2013.

Sorry I can't help you with the shipping question but just in case you didn't know, Ranger makes a bass boat Reatta and deep V walleye Reatta. Be careful you know what you're buying. I'm sure many a Midwest guys have bought a used Reatta they found cheaper from down south expecting a Deep V walleye boat and a bass boat shows up on their door step.

I'm sure you have it figured out but just thought I'd mention it since it would be a big mistake.

if possible find a couple younger guys buy them the cheapest plane tickets you can find and rent a truck to haul it back. Gotta make sure they are old enough to rent a vehicle but that's got to cost less than $3600.

I agree that good way to go would be to find someone wintering in AZ to pick it up. There are lots of people who head north in late March and April who drive class A RV's which can handle this boat. A lot of them would jump at a chance to earn $1000 or so to defray their travel expenses. Seniors who give rides to people and hard goods is quite common. Your personal boat insurance would cover the travel because you are not a commercial operation. It shouldn't be too hard to network on social media to find some leads.

Muskie Junkie, You must be confused with regards to the Reatta. Only one model and its a fish and ski with windshield. No such animal as a bass Reatta. Its actually more of a multi species boat.

The older versions of the reata 186 and 210 previously had a hull that was more of a bass boat design. I believe they are all more of a multi-species designed hull now like the early reata 1850vs.

Muskie Junkie, You must be confused with regards to the Reatta. Only one model and its a fish and ski with windshield. No such animal as a bass Reatta. Its actually more of a multi species boat.

1850LS vs the 186. The 1850 is what everyone in MN thinks of when they hear 18' reatta. 4 swivel seats that can be moved around, deep v hull.

The 186 is smaller and has two captains chairs with a bass boat style seat for passangers. Lower resale in MN than the "walleye" version.

All reattas have full windshields I believe. I Couldn't tell you what years they started or stopped these two.

WHY they use the reatta name for two different 18' boats is beyond me but like I said earlier I'm sure people have confused buying them used online and not got what they expected when delivery day came.

Thanks all. You all make valid points. I have owned Ranger boats and I do know what the models are. After running all the numbers it really doesn't make sense to buy it. Even know it is a good deal. It will end up being the same price as if I bought one in Minnesota. I will hold off until the right boat get's posted. Thanks again.....