• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish house to buy or not to buy

GSPMark

I keep going back and forth about buying a fish house. Would really like to have one but every time I get close to pulling the trigger I start thinking about the cost and how little time over the course it will be used. Don't think I would use it for camping, just want it for fishing. How many of you have no regrets about making this 12k plus investment and feel you get enough satification despite the limited time you actually get to use it.

Thanks

As long as you are willing to travel a bit, you can probably find fishable ice the first weekend in December. Walleye season runs through February, and you can almost always still get out during March for panfish. That's at least 3, if not 4 months, which isn't too bad. I find myself fishing pretty close to every weekend, whereas if I had only a portable, I probably wouldn't venture out at -20.

I'm definitely not a camper, but I have found a few opportunities during the off season where it has been great to pull the house and have a warm and dry place to sleep. You may find similar opportunities to help make it more of a year-round asset.

I'm on the fifth season with my wheel house. I can't imagine not having one. I use it every weekend from when I can get it on ice in December through the end of February. Then I end up fishing more small lakes for panfish, but will still take it out on the south side of Mille Lacs for panfish, perch or tulibees. I have had it on the ice in April. The house also gets used in Oct/Nov for hunting trips. One day I will pull it to an outdoor rock concert.

If you buy or build a quality house you will always have a market to sell it. You will also never run out of friends that want to spend the weekend fishing in your house.

Thanks I appreciate the input. I fish basicelly every weekend now except when the weather extreme using my portable. I like the thought of a nice warm house that one can actually take of some clothe and relax in. Would like to do some weekend get away to some of the big lakes as well. Have never had a ice house so really have no idea just how different it would be. How quick can one set it up and take it down if just used for a pan fish day? I have been looking at a finished 6.5x12 Yetti.

Set up and take down is easy and quick. The ability to "stay the night" is HUGE. The kids loved it also when they were smaller... I have one but you must use it, with 4 kids in sports right now I use it less and less. I likely will sell mine but once kids are older I would have another in an instant. Once you start fishing in a hoodie and slippers it is hard to go back to cold weather gear and sitting on a bucket. I found the weekends of fishing to be just more relaxing with all the stuff you need right there and being comfortable. Now in deep snow it is not like running and gunning with the portable and sled but in weather like right now... give me my wheelhouse. and I can go anywhere a portable can (just about)

I have a 6 1/2' x 12' + 3' V wheel house. It is so easy to move around and set up it makes ice fishing a joy. Another nice thing is that you can keep all your gear in the house so its ready to go when ever you want. Hook up and head out to the lake.

I'd think that if you're asking the question the answer is no based on what you said.

I've had pretty much every toy for hunting and fishing and at some point I realized that "less is more" in many respects. If my wife read this she'd laugh because of all the gear I still have but the general maintenance of most of this stuff makes it overwhelming at some point.

I was planning on buying one next year. After my son blew his knee out 2nd shift of the first game of his senior year I started thinking about this year. After a month of looking and comparing I ordered mine. I should have it in 4 more weeks or less. We already have a 30ft travel trailer that I leave at a friend cabin for the summer. The fish house will now give us the chance to go camping closer to home without dragging the camper back and forth. My wife was all for it and I plan on using it every other weekend at least next year. And with our youngest going to Central Lakes College in Staples next year it will be nice to go and spend time on the ice by him also. My biggest issue was where to park it when the camper was home and of coarse the price. I am kind of a tight a$$. Good luck with your choice. Shop around, write down options you want, and compare.

This is our first year with a wheelhouse and fishing is now so much more relaxing. I'm sure we'll still use the portable but I can't imagine going back to the portable exclusively. I certainly don't miss tearing down and dragging the portable back after each evening of fishing. My wife now find fishing much more enjoyable so we will likely have more time on the ice.

As the grandkids get older we envision them getting good use summer and winter.

If you have the skills and time you might consider doing your own build. Doing so you can see some nice savings and have it the way you want it. Good luck in your decision.