• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building "Crib Docks"

overdalimit

How do you build "Cribbing" for permanent docks? I am not the project mgr...just a laborer. I have never been part of this kind of job before. from what I understand we will be building them on the ice...but how is this done? Do you build the cribs and then cut a hole in the ice and set them in? I see a HUGE pile of rock to fill them with...Just curious as to HOW it is done I have been told it is like Lincoln logs...I get that part, Just looking for a step by step general process. The guy in charge has done so many I think he has a hard time explaining the general process to a square head like me.

Apparently it is ok without a permit if the dock isn't too big and the bottom of the lake where cribs are used is primarily rock.

If this is a box made out of logs and filled with rocks, I would think a lot depends on how deep the water is. I would presume the structure is built, a hole is cut and after putting some rocks in the the crib to sink it, it is pushed into the hole.

As to how the logs are fastened together, something like lag screws would be my guess. maybe notch them a little. The cribs I see on Vermilion have gaps between the logs.

Probably a youtube video showing the process out there.

Like I said before I'm not in charge...just one of the workers. I know all permits have been pulled as this is a commercial operation. I have never worked on a dock building crew. Just was trying to be prepared for what will be asked of me as a laborer (i.e. do we need to get in the water? yikes) I know they are talking about using a Backhoe and an ASV. How do they level the cribs? How do they keep them from sinking into the muck?

After you've done one you can tell use how they do it. smile

Sometimes the boss wants a helper without experience.

I'd imagine the hole will be cut and then the assembled crib moved to the hole. Something has to keep it from floating off to the side as its being sunk so temp post guides into the lake bottom on all 4 sides. Those can be pushed in with the backhoe and taken out.

How to level it? I'd use a measuring stick and measure from lake bottom to top of ice at all 4 corners. If my crib is 6x6 and there is a 9" difference on the deeper end then I'd add a 9" timber on the bottom of the crib. He might even level off or flatten the bottom with 3" rocks. Lets say there is a rock down there that the crib would set on. Get rid of the rock. No worry about it sinking into the muck because you can't put a crib in if you have muck. Here is where you come in, start filling the crib with rocks. smile

Yes I heard something about concrete slabs...also something about lots of guys to fill the cribs. LOL! Del, ASV is a small track loader similar to a bob cat. Made in MN I believe. Up at the lake we have a back hoe, two skid loaders and 2 dump trucks.