• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage lighting

picksbigwagon

We have two standrad light sockets in our 3 car garage and my wife now only buys CFL bulbs (seperate topic, bigger issue) now and I now have to wait for the cfl to warm up and reach somewhat 100w's compared to the old incandescent in the other socket. I want to replace both with some better lighting options. Would 4 tube flourecent lights be better? If not,mwhat other options do I have?

We have two standrad light sockets in our 3 car garage and my wife now only buys CFL bulbs (seperate topic, bigger issue) now and I now have to wait for the cfl to warm up and reach somewhat 100w's compared to the old incandescent in the other socket. I want to replace both with some better lighting options. Would 4 tube flourecent lights be better? If not,mwhat other options do I have?

Try an LED bulb. Just as energy efficient and no warm up. Some places have rebates from the power company.

A bit off the topic but I put a motion activated light fixture near the door to the house. That way when you pull in you get decent light. The lights from the opener are never enough and there are too many shadows.

The LED suggestion is a good one. The price has fallen. If you did go with fluorescent you need to get units that are for cold spaces. They are a bit more expensive but will work at 35 degrees at least. If you do use them I suggest you also have at least one screw in fixture for the just in case. You know that will light up when you want.

I had a couple Fiet brand (100 wat equivalnet) LED(2200 lumen?) lamps in an unheated garage. They were days brighter than the CFL that were next to them cold and warm.

Be prepared to wait for them to go on sale though. They are spendy.

Costco carries the Feit LED shop lights. $40 with an $8 instant rebate. You can't beat the price and they are just as bright as any T8 4 foot fluorescent 2 bulb fixture. They have gotten excellent reviews as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.