• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tablet suggestions?

Huskie

We are in need of a tablet, getting tired of hauling our larger laptop around on flights, trips etc. We will be using it for our basic computer needs, e mail, facebook, internet, a little streaming etc, maybe a few games but that's about it. Even though we currently have i-phones, we looked at the samsung tab s 10.5 in, 32GB. That unit is more than we need, any thoughts??

If you are tied into the apple ecosystem, it makes sense to get an iPad. Just pick the size you want/need.

If you want to go the Android route, the Samsung's are good and any of the Google Nexus tablets are good.

If you like what you can do on your laptop, you might want to look at a Windows 8.1 Tablet, you get to run the full version of Windows 8, which means everything you run on your laptop will probably run on the tablet too, just stay away from Windows 8 RT, you don't want that.

I have a Nexus 7 android tablet also and it works good, I can't knock it.

Mike

A lot of good tips already but I'll add one more and that is to take a look at the available accessories for the tablets you have on your short list.

As mentioned above, if you already have iPhones it might make sense to go with an iPad as the interface will be identical and you are probably well aware that the market is flooded with accessories.

If you're looking for something different and want to go Android there are a lot of options out there, good ones too, but not all have the 3rd party accessories available that others do. Case in point: The Galaxy Tab Pro. This was the top of the line tablet last February and I picked one up. No regrets as it's a great tablet (10.1"), but then Samsung decided to also release the "S" series a short while later out of the blue and the aftermarket manufacturers decided to sell more accessories for that line of tablets than the "Pro" series. Granted, there really isn't a lot of accessories that are needed after you buy a tablet other than a decent case, but I wanted a keyboard and there isn't anything out there and it kinda sucks.

Other than that minor quirk, I've had two Samsung tablets and have nothing bad to say about them. BTW, unless you plan on loading your tablet with a bunch of movies and music, I would save the money and get the 16GB. The Samsung Pro has a micro-SD slot for additional storage if needed anyway.

I have an old/original Galaxy Tab 8.9. It's been solid, still decent battery life, etc.

However, I 2nd or 3rd the suggestion to go with an iPad (as much as it pains me to say it) if you already have iPhones and plan on sticking with them. It's just usually better overall experience to stay in one family or the other, so to speak.

I have an older Toshiba Thrive and love it. Went with it because it had a USB Port, SD port and full sized HDMI out jack. Whats good about this is I can plug a USB hard drive in and have unlimited space for music, movies, ect for long flights or anything. The HDMI out jack is awesome because when we get to a hotel I can plug it into the TV there and watch movies off the hard drive I bring or my netflix account. Just something to think about. I know you can't do those things with iPads.