• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse carpet

Iambjm

I finished off a Yetti 4 years ago and put outdoor carpet in it, navy blue. I hated it, was impossible to keep clean, stayed wet forever when we were using it. So I bit the bullet, bought the G-floor coin flooring. Ripped my old carpet out and lo and behold there was mold growing on the floor underneath it. Cleaned it up and will never have carpet in a wheelhouse again.

I used a product called Revitalize in my build. This is still early the first season but so far I really like it. Rolled on it has a light textured finish that has not yet been slippery from hole slush or fish slime. The floor wipes dry easily with an old towel. I plan to add a squeegee to make clean-up around the holes easier (a Jiffy isn't the best auger in a wheelhouse, lol). I am guessing Herculiner would be very similar.

I finished off a Yetti 4 years ago and put outdoor carpet in it, navy blue. I hated it, was impossible to keep clean, stayed wet forever when we were using it. So I bit the bullet, bought the G-floor coin flooring. Ripped my old carpet out and lo and behold there was mold growing on the floor underneath it. Cleaned it up and will never have carpet in a wheelhouse again.

Wow, 4 years already, times flying. It seems like just a short time ago I stopped in and said hi to you and a friend out of Appeldoorn's when you had just got it out one of the first times. Just keep a few old towels around so you can wipe up wet spots on setup days when your drilling holes and going in and out. A pair of rubber sole comfy warm cabin slippers are nice also to walk around in case someone just pulled up a big slimy eelpout and got the floor wet again! grin

did you use a one piece or the tiles? Does it get slippery? I was thinking about using herculiner.

I bought the roll 7.5x17, I noticed at the ice show that a lot of the wheelhouses have this in them. As far as slippery it really depends on what kind of boots you have on.

The coin rubber can be slippery, but do an online search for rolled rubber flooring; it's available in different thicknesses and some colors. I think mine is 5/16ths. I installed some 1/2 inch for an outfitter and that was a bear to work with, but the thinner stuff is fine. The surface is kind of matte, pretty much the ideal fish house flooring in my book. I think it cost me about 300.00 to do my 6.5 x 14, including the very expensive adhesive it requires, but it's pretty much a lifetime floor.

I've read posts like this before but for the life of me I can't figure out why some people have so much trouble with carpet. Do you have pad holding water? Wrong type of carpet? Do you soak it and never dry it? Why doesn't it dry over the summer? I would never have a house without it but to each their own.

I've read posts like this before but for the life of me I can't figure out why some people have so much trouble with carpet. Do you have pad holding water? Wrong type of carpet? Do you soak it and never dry it? Why doesn't it dry over the summer? I would never have a house without it but to each their own.

I did usethe cheapest indoor outdoor/carpet and did not glue it down. Maybe if I had spent more money and purchased the type of carpet they use in boats it wouldn't have done that. It would get wet whenever I used it in the winter and wouldn't dry out until the weather warmed up.

Cheap-On that beautifull house you built last year? I use regular household carpet from our hotel with plastic action back, glue it down and never have a problem. I am kind of a clean freak with augers though. Another plug for ION because it doesn't throw slush and ice from wall to wall.