• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got $95 to spend - Help me choose...

You maybe the only one that can answer that?

Make a list:

What kinds of fish do I fish for most?

What kind would I try fishing for if I had the right lures or rods?

What other equipment don't I have right now that may help if I saved just a bit more money to get it?

Good luck it's fun shopping! wink

Personally I would never spend that much in one shot on tackle. Its not going to matter what you throw at them if they aren't there. Save it and spend it on a good flasher or gps/navionics map. Catching them is the easy part, finding them is whats the challenge

Personally I would never spend that much in one shot on tackle. Its not going to matter what you throw at them if they aren't there. Save it and spend it on a good flasher or gps/navionics map. Catching them is the easy part, finding them is whats the challenge

+1. Often times a plain hook, bobber, and minnow is the best lure for walleye. You can get set up with all of that for just a few bucks. I'd say save the money and see if you can get set up with a flasher of some sort if you don't already have one.

Good tips above. I know the number of walleyes I caught over the years on a plain hook and a split shot has to be in the thousands.

One of my best days was with a plain hook and split shot on Devils Lake. I have a counter on my boat and we landed 178 walleyes in 4 hours before we ran out of bait. No big fish, mostly 15-20" but a real fun time with my uncle and grandfather. We were using an 1/8 of a nightcrawler that barely covered the hook by the end of the trip.

When ice fishing I will always have a dead stick down with a minnow and plain hook or a tip-up close by, and jig with your other rod. They will often be drawn in by the spoon and then take the dead stick minnow on the plain hook. Or if they aren't responding to the spoon and you see them on the flasher I'll switch to two dead sticks.

I've caught more walleyes in metro lakes on plain hooks vs. spoons. And I find the opposite on lakes up north like ML,LOTW,Leech, ect.. I find that the spoon out shines the plain hook up north. Sure you still catch fish on rattle reels on plain hooks but they sure are aggressive towards the spoon up north. Maybe it's a confidence thing and just don't try spoons enough in the metro, but that's been my experience.

I would get an assortment of 1/16th and 1/8th oz baits. My go to baits tend to be the northland forage minnows and buckshot rattle spoons, vmc rattle spoons and varmint rattling spoons. I generally will carry 2-3 of each type of bait in case of bite offs. Pink and white, green and white, orange and white, firetiger and red are some of the more tried and true colors. Small chubby darters are nice to have in the arsenal and some spoons with flash like the slender spoons, castmasters and Swedish pimples. A few smaller jigging raps are nice to have as well and will catch panfish and walleyes. Have fun shopping!

Tunrevir~

Heres the top 5 lures I would pick up for walleyes.

1. VMC Tingler Spoons or Custom Jigs n Spins Slender spoons. Both is even better.

2. JR's Tackle Flasher Spoon

3. Jiggin raps

4. Buckshot Rattle spoons

5. Whistler Jigs

There are so many more but these are the top 5 for me so far this season.