• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what to spray on bottom of sled?

mrpike1973

Call up Clark Griswold for some non-nutritive cereal varnish. It worked on his saucer.

Ok, seriously, what kind of sled is it. I would have thought the silicone would have done the trick. You could try rubbing with wax paper or Pledge furniture polish.

I live in Indiana and we spend most of the ice season pulling by hand because we don't usually get enough ice for machines. (Until late season)

I've tried various coatings but nothing seems to work very well on plastic. Also whatever did seem to help wore off quickly.

I would try skis or something similar. FWIW....I have learned to travel light.... After 3-4 inches of snow 50 pounds of gear feels like 150 pounds!

Spray it with a pair of downhill skis! Find them at a thrift store $10 - $30 a pair. If you pull by hand there's nothing that you can spray on that will compare. I see people pulling their sleds without skis and having such a struggle. My skis come on and off in about 30 seconds. People also make a sled that cradles their ice house to pull it out with. full-44005-52228-image.jpg

Make sure it's not a kick wax or grip wax, as far as cross-country ski waxes go. I suggest a fluorocarbon wax or "race paste."

Such as http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wvaQ4r0xL.jpg

Use on plastic sled or skis. I apply often. Easily wipes on.

Can also use hard waxes you'd use for downhill skis for a base layer. Good idea on well used sled bottoms to fill in scratches and help dry fuzzy plastic.

Try a few coats of furniture polish (pledge etc). Works well for just about anything from, goggles, atv plastic, snowmobile hoods etc. If you have ever walked (slid) across laminiate flooring after the Mrs. got a little wild with the furnature polish you'll know what i mean!

Spray it with a pair of downhill skis! Find them at a thrift store $10 - $30 a pair. If you pull by hand there's nothing that you can spray on that will compare. I see people pulling their sleds without skis and having such a struggle. My skis come on and off in about 30 seconds. People also make a sled that cradles their ice house to pull it out with. full-44005-52228-image.jpg

This is the answer to your troubles.

This is exactly what I have been wanting to do but was wondering how you mounted the ski supports to the sled? Is it just bolts going through? I've been leery about doing it because I didn't know how the holes through the plastic sled would hold up without reinforcement. I could just see the plastic split at the hole after being jostled around too much. But do you find that this isn't a problem? I would be doing this with an otter sled.

Great job man and you have me inspired to finally do it. On skis you can probably pull it with a finger.

I suggest googling smitty sled to anyone looking for ideas. There is another site with a long going thread on them. Lots of ideas/options out there. I just built a sled with an elevated platform like this so I can put different shacks on it as needed. Mine is not collapsible like this one, just screwed together.

6178b9c4e3b62c4d4905b42c59a111a2_zps587c

5fd0bab5d5bd41783b2ab3195d654c2d_zpsf22b

Only pic I have of mine.

15b431ec8ddae6287b2e5424baa108bf_zps1689

All said in done conduit, bender, welding. prolly have around $70 into the this contraption. Works fantastic though. Pulled 200 pounds with it felt like I was going downhill as there barely any contact for resistance. If you need I'll get some day time photos of just the frame...

full-24389-52259-img_20141202_172933_785

full-24389-52260-img_20141202_172959_881

full-24389-52261-img_20141201_093234_876

I recently built a Smitty sled and found the used skis free at the local ski shop. The mistake I made was using cross country skis and will be changing them to downhill skis soon.

full-44005-52283-image.jpg

The small pieces get mounted to the sled. The weight of the sled pretty much holds the skis on but I added a bungee cord and two little pieces of wood to help even more. full-44005-52284-image.jpg

full-44005-52285-image.jpg

The little pieces of wood are added to each ski support to keep the weight of the sled from sliding down the angle. I just used bolts and washers to hold the short pieces to the sled. I can sit in the seat with skis on and it holds me just fine.