• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smoked Carp "Recipe Needed"

I googled "smoked carp recipe" and whole bunch of them came up

here's one of the simpler ones I saw

smoked carp

I love smoked carp and should do this myself considering how many I get every year

perhaps someone here can toss in their personal favorite

don't forget to trim off all the red meat that nearly every carp has in the middle of the fillet

Brine carp for 2 days in salt, lots of brown sugar and lemon.

Put carp fillets on cedar planking. Smoke carp for 8 hours or until done. Give carp to cats and eat the cedar board.

I used to smoke a lot of salmon. I would imagine any brown sugar recipie would work. Recently I discovered many smoke houses will smoke your fish for just over a buck a pound. After you figure in the time it takes, te money you spend on brine, chips, smoker, etc. it's worth the extra couple bucks getting it done professionally and then you can go fishing instead of dedicating a whole day to smoking. Plus you are guaranteed a good end product.

I have northern waters in duluth do mine. I have brought them lots of silver, sockeye, tullies, lakers and even halibut to get smoked. I recheck the price, but it wasn't listed. It is cheap though! I actually just dropped off a load of silvers to get done yesterday.

Lets smoke a couple next spring Jeremy and see how they are. smile I had some once many years ago from a guy out by Wapicada. Pretty good stuff.

That brown sugar thing sounds good.We might have to try a few different kinds of rough fish.Maybe get Tom to catch another doggy too.

I've smoked quite a few carp, just use the same recipe that you use for tullibees or salmon. The main thing is get them in early spring and nothing larger than 5 lbs. Sucker is good but way to many bones, dog fish don't even try. IMO the best is Lg Bass beats all others. 2c

I've experimented with smoking carp a few times and here's my suggestions:

1-Bleed the fish and throw it on ice soon after catching it (a LOT of blood in these guys)

2-soak the fillets in vinegar for 15 minutes and wipe off the slime with paper towels before brining

3-brine in salt, brown sugar, water overnight-then dump the brine, rinse the fillets, and dry rub with salt and brown sugar. Return to the fridge for the rest of the day.

The reason I prep it this way is that the slime is really strongly flavored and I want to get rid of all of it. The vinegar separates most of it (it turns white and thick, so a paper towel can get rid of most of it) but the water-based brine still turns slimy. Once you dump the watery brine, you finish the prep with dry rubs and the slime flavor isn't and issue anymore.

I've served my carp to a group at a dinner party and had everyone vote on what they thought they were eating. The group determined it was Salmon. They were wrong.

It has a tuna-like texture and the flavor is about the same as any smoked fish if you get rid of that slime and avoid the dark meat.

This coming spring, I'm going to try smoking creek chubs. Wish me luck.

I've experimented with smoking carp a few times and here's my suggestions:

1-Bleed the fish and throw it on ice soon after catching it (a LOT of blood in these guys)

2-soak the fillets in vinegar for 15 minutes and wipe off the slime with paper towels before brining

3-brine in salt, brown sugar, water overnight-then dump the brine, rinse the fillets, and dry rub with salt and brown sugar. Return to the fridge for the rest of the day.

The reason I prep it this way is that the slime is really strongly flavored and I want to get rid of all of it. The vinegar separates most of it (it turns white and thick, so a paper towel can get rid of most of it) but the water-based brine still turns slimy. Once you dump the watery brine, you finish the prep with dry rubs and the slime flavor isn't and issue anymore.

I've served my carp to a group at a dinner party and had everyone vote on what they thought they were eating. The group determined it was Salmon. They were wrong.

It has a tuna-like texture and the flavor is about the same as any smoked fish if you get rid of that slime and avoid the dark meat.

This coming spring, I'm going to try smoking creek chubs. Wish me luck.

I tried creek chubs once when I was a kid. I don't remember why but they actually weren't too bad if I recall correctly We didn't smoke them. It was a long time ago though.

Von Hanson's Meats in Chanhassen says they'll smoke 'em for me- I can bring in fillets or bone-in carcass- does't matter.

There's a whole bunch of Von Hanson's in the metro, but I didn't ask if the others did custom smoking, too. I'll be getting some nice spring carp pretty soon! Will post results here.

Hay WS21, I see your from my neck of the woods. Did you know there are no Green, Yellow and Red traffic lights in Le Sueur Co.

Use the salt/brown sugar brine. You could add Bay leaf, garlic and, or Black Pepper corns. To your taste. I like Alder for smoke. It seems to be the classic fish smoking wood.

It is all good!