• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building up a seasonally wet trail

O.T.C.

Why not just pole in on a shallow running duck boat, or a flat stern  canoe with a trolling motor, if its only shin deep in some areas, grab duck bill push pole and push your way thru. Sounds like theres is way to much time and money involved for a deer. but thats me, Im impressed at your willingness to get in there year after year.

Ask Frosty on here, he's my neighbor guy, it's a rathole no question but the area produces several trophy class bucks every year never a down year, the one I really was hoping for had 15.5" main tines G something lol, he is mounted on anothers wall, my guess is maybe 8 bucks taken in the area yearly that score 150 or more with a 228" non-typical state record muzzy buck shot in 2005, now Kreidermacher in the whitewater has the record. My 1 tcam had 3 bucks Nov. 3-6th last year that would score 155 or more, only way I know is they're all dead and scored lol. See once through the wet 40 my back 40 has birch ash tamaracs balsam fir, poplar etc. so once you make it you put on sorels etc take the chesties off etc. and ur gold until it's time  walk out then change again etc. Got the lanes and lots of trees cut up last year, this year it's 100% about the trail, next year about new stands.

Hmmm that's a theory for sure, my theory was leaning toward if OK by the OTC soil and water to dig a ditch and then could paddle it or walk what's dug out etc. Like trench it, biggest issue  think some springs have sprung so to speak, it wasn't nearly as wet in the 70's and 80's to about the mid 90's and the creek on it does not flow out anymore, bogs etc. etc. They asked all of us landowners if they wanted the creek to flow out again but no 1 seems to want share in the bill that would come with that project so I'm on my own and that's ok, most others have enough dry ground to hunt so they don't need to care.

Trails thru wetlands are purely political, and who you know.  I personally know of a situation in western Minnesota where the owner was told there was no way an owner of a duck hunting point would be able to build a road out to the point.  After a few years of fighting the road was built.  The owner was told the road would be no wider than that to drive a four-wheeler on.  The road was built so a farmer could drive a 4-wheel tractor on it.  It was built upat least 3 feet.  This situation is not what others in this post have seen--this situation was purely political and who you know--a real shame for our wetlands!!

I agree, same thing is about to happen on my best friends dads farm, putting a road in right through the wetlands and I guess this is ok ? There will be no use for it other then making it a shorter way to haul wood home. Right through 2 willow/cattail sloughs no problem. They'll be unloading equipment soon and everyone and their brother who lives between Ottertail and Perham will be driving by seeing this happen soon enough HWY 78 west side. I'm going to start on mine as soon as solid ice, I'm just gonna use what's there, downed trees or leaners are going to be laid first and actually might be good enough idk yet. Figure it's about 300 yards to do. I'm thoroughly tired of wearing chest waders deer hunting.

Not saying degraded oh heavens no every CO Sheriff etc. will easily be able to see off HWY 78 with all the equipment in there it's a job that's been approved, this isn't a back 80 deal no one would ever see. My deal is just gonna use what's been knocked down by straight line winds etc. over the years and just move it from A to B, I don't want a 4 wheeler trail or anything like that, just a way to avoid chest waders as wetter years it's worse, drier years like this one better, actually hopped around and made it in knee high boots but it was risky in spots, just getting too old to grind that out in the pitch black generally.