• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

attaching reels to rods

opsirc

If a rod I purchase has the rings on it I cut them off and tape my reels on with electrical or hockey/athletic tape.Electrical tape holds up better but if you have wet hads it can be slick the hockey tape has good grip but doesnt hold up as well.

I use Cold Snap Outdoors reel wraps for my rods and reels. They are basically castration rings with a flat side that grip reels nice and tight to the rod. Plus the tool they come in is extremely nice to get the rings onto the handle. I've used Cold Snap wraps for 4 years now and they are awesome!

Typically just electrical tape but recently I've been putting a layer of masking tape on the cork and then electrical tape over that. If you have the electrical tape on the cork for a season or two and then take it off it can take some of the cork with it - the masking tape prevents this.

It can be a little challenging to find sometimes in large enough size but something I have used with good success is heat shrink tubing found at electrical supply outlets. It shrinks on nice and tight and there are no ends to unroll or peel or adhesive that can get on your hands or rod and they don't get brittle in the cold.