• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best St. Croix Premier Ice combo for walleyes

rickwalley

Hi guys

I'm trying to decide between the medium or medium light St. Croix Premier Ice combo for walleyes. I think I'll do the 28". Is the medium light going to have trouble handling some of the more aggressive jigging? I've held both and am kind of caught between each one. The medium light obviously feels more sensitive , but maybe that is just misleading because the rod has more action.

I've caught a lot of walleyes on the 28" ML Premier. Perfect power/action for eater sized eyes up to 20" and big perch. If you're regularly catching fish over 20" and using 1/4 spoons then I'd step it up to the medium.

The ML can certainly handle a bigger fish but the M will do better. Likewise the ML will be better for your average eaters.

I've been using the St Croix Premier combos for the last 3 years and I have the UL, ML and M all in the 28". I've caught plenty of walleyes on the ML, but have also lost a few of my biggest ones while using the ML. Personally I don't think there's back bone in the ML to drive the hooks in on the ML and would recommend the M if you are using it exclusively for just walleyes.

Thanks guys so far for the responses. All good info. I would agree that trying a good hook set on a decent walleye seems like it would be touchy on the ML, but it seems that the tip on the M would be worse for detecting a lite bite to set the hook on? I guess that's what you get with the more expensive rods....a real sensitive tip, but also the backbone to not break a rod and still get a great hook set? Can eater size walleyes be detected consistently on the tip of the M?

I have both and I'd say if you're doubting go with the Medium. Especially if you're in a location where you can catch walleyes over a few pounds. I haven't used the St. Croix reel but I'm usually pretty opposed to buying a "combo" because the reel is almost always dump. I use a lot of Shimano Sienna's in either the 500 or 1000 size on my ice rods (retail for $29.99) - something to think about.