• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who won the Leech Lake Gander Mt. Tourney?

ChrisR71

Fishing was awesome all week on Leech. If anyone hasn't experienced it, give it a try. There is rice, reeds, cane, undercut banks, pads, if you like shallow water fishing, go fish Leech for a day.

Congrats to John Crane for his second win on Leech.

I was on vacation last week at Leech Lake and I saw a lot of bass pros pre fishing for the Gander Mt. tournament on Saturday.

I checked classicbass but the results are not posted yet.

Does anyone know who won and what was the winning bag?

Pherris,
You not ignorant what so ever, you CAN fish the rice. But entering the rice is a gray area. For the most part, if you were in the rice, you may be asked to leave, but rarely ticketed unless purposfull damage is being done. I'm sorry to say, but if you can't beat them, join them. I for one don't like fishing right in the rice, but rather than cause a stir, I avoid it going deep into the rice fields. Ross

THE NATIVE AMERICANS HARVEST THE RICE SO IT IS PROTECTED BY LAW AND IS A FINE UP $1000 AND AUTOMATIC DQ IN THE TOURNEY. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE STAND UP RICE OR THE THICK LAYDOWN RICE WHICH IS IMATURE AND WILL BE STANDING IN A FEW WEEKS. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CAST INTO THE RICE BUT CANNOT INTENSIONALLY DAMAGE THE RICE BY RIPPING IT OUT OR WITH YOUR MOTOR. YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GO INTO THE THIN LAYDOWN RICE AND CAST UP TO THICK LAYDOWN OR STAND UP RICE. THEIR IS RICE ALL OVER THE LAKE BUT THIER IS 4 MAIN RICE BEDS THAT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO DAMAGE THAT WOULD BE BOY BAY, STEAMBOAT, HEADQUARTERS AND THE DAM. AND ALL 4 OF THEM HAVE GREAT BASS POPULATIONS WITH BOY BEING PROBABLY THE BEST.

ROSS I DO NOT BREAK THE RULES IF SOMEONE SAYS YOU CAN'T DO THEN I DON'T. I GUESS TAKING YOUR BOAT RIGHT THROUGH THE STAND UP RICE IS PURPOSEFUL DAMAGE. YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THEIR IS DEEPER HOLES IN THE RICE BEDS BECAUSE OF THE TOURNEYS WE FISHED UP THIER IN THE SPRING. FOR I DID NOT FIND THEM DEEP IN THE RICE BECAUSE I KNEW HEADING UP WE COULD NOT GO IN BUT I DID HAVE A VERY NICE WEIGHT.

Easy on the caps pal! About the standing rice, you're telling me information I already know. But once again, the CO's commented at the meeting that one would likely NOT get a ticket for being in the rice, but maybe asked to leave the rice fields. Its the same deal as someone going over 40mph on Minnetonka - deal with it.
I for one do not believe a bass boat simply fishing in the rice causes that much damage to rice, but that is my opinion. And if you have a problem with someone in the rice, file a protest. Badmouthing Crane or anyone else for being in the rice isn't doing the problem or you any good.
I like Leech, but I don't fish in the rice becuase I think its a pain in the arse to deal with. I would like to fish there again, but don't think its worth all the talk that is associated with fishing tournaments there. If a tournament does go there again, earlier in the year is much better because the majority rice is not emergent yet and is still submerged.

ROSS I AM ALWAYS IN CAPS CAUSE OF MY JOB I WAS NOT DOING TO MAKE A STATEMENT SO CALM DOWN MY JOG WE TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPS.

THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT I TALKED TO JOHN BEFORE HE SAID YOU CANNOT GO INTO THE RICE AND IT HAS BEEN THAT WAY SINCE WE FIRST WENT UP TO LEECH. THE CO'S EVEN SAID WE SHOULD NOT GO INTO THE RICE. IF I KNEW I WOULD JUST GET A WARNING FOR BEING IN THEIR I WOULD HAVE PREFISHED IT MORE CAUSE YOU KNOW THIER IS BIG FISH IN THIER AND YOU GET A COUPLE OF KICKERS YOU COULD HAVE A GREAT WEIGHT. I WOULD AGREE WITH YOU THAT A BOAT DOES NOT DO MUCH DAMAGE. I LIKE BOTH TIMES OF THE YEAR SO IT DOES NOT MATTER TO ME.

ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT THIER IS PEOPLE OUT THIER WHO CHEAT TO WIN WHETHER ITS SPEEDING ON TONKA, PASSING IN THE CAHANNELS, FISHING IN SIDE OF SOMEONES BOUY, FISHING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RICE AND THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE US BASS ANGLERS A BAD NAME.

ONCE AGAIN I AM JUST EXPRESSING MY THOUGHT'S NOT TRYING TO BAD MOUTH OR BE MEAN TO YOU. I THINK YOU ARE A GOOD GUY AND A TALENTED ANGLER.