• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinnerbait question - LM & SM

Aquaman01

I love spinnerbaits. I love that I can drag 'em through or bounce them off dang near anything and not snag up. I love that I rarely miss a hook-up with 'em. I love that I can work 'em on the river-bottom, too. But....

I don't know what conditions are optimal for them? When do some of ya'll go to a spinnerbait over something else?

Thanks,
Rob

i have heard that you shouldn't fish spinnerbaits on a sunny day. at least that's what Roland Martin says.... but what does he know! smile.gif i generally fish spinnerbaits in spring and fall for sure! also fish them on overcast days or early in the a.m. thru the weeds. or if the wind is blowing into an area with bullrushes. they are very versitile. i use a "crankbait" rod and 30lb. Power Pro. you can really horse the bass out of the weeds with it.

------------------
YIPPPPEEEEEEEE

I like small spinner baits pre-spawn, usually a single Colorado or a double willow. I like big double Colorado thumpers in the fall.

Anytime I am on a river, a spinnerbait sees action. Colorado's are my preference here. I want some thumping.

Mid-summer, if the wind is pounding rushes or a rocky shore, it definitely comes out. I like a single willow or Colorado here. I usually fish it pretty fast in this situation; lots of short casts at targets.

And, I always pick up a spinnerbait at some point when I'm around smallmouth. Their destructive nature seems to make them suckers for spinnerbaits.

------------------
Ray Esboldt

Catch-N Tackle
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Hey aquaman
The basswacker here.I have been throwing buzzbaits and spinnerbaits for years.
I think the optemal time to throw a spinnerbait is in the spring when it's windy
clear lakes I use double willow leafs,murkier water I go from a hammered nickel willow with the second blade a colorado all the way down to a single colorado to throw more of a thump becuase they might not see it but they sure will feel it!
I always keep one tied on during tournaments. My largest fish of the tournament I fished last weekend was over 4#'s and she came off of a black spinnerbait on a wind swept point.
Docks, drop offs, weedline edges you name it they work well in all conditions when fish are predominitaly feeding on bait fish!!
Glad to see you posting haven't heard much from ya since I met you ice fishing on maple lake last winter.If you are ever in the market for spinners or buzzers please feel free to get ahold of me about ZAP lures OK.
Hope your family and you are doing well
Tight lines my freind
Basswacker

Spinnerbaits work for me year round. On the days I start out with one and get nothign after an hour, I'll switch to crank baits and tubes. I never give up on a spinnerbait - it is so versitle and can be fished in more varities than any other lure.

I'm with Trailblazin. I always start out with a spinnerbait because I love to fish them.
If the bass and pike let me know that they are not interested, I'll go to crankbaits, worms, or tubes. Sometimes if I feel bullheaded, I'll keep throwing until I prove I can get one on the spinnerbait.
It is my favorite all season lure for bass and pike, although no doubt better in pre-spawn and fall.