• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jig vets: weight -- how critical?

RandyFish

Another question as I try to learn jigging.

I know this will probably become a "depends" question, but is a jig's weight a big factor -- outside of heavy jigs being able to punch through foil.

I am trying to use lighter jigs (bitsy jigs, or simlar ones), tip with part of a plastic craw around and under docks, because they possess a slower fall. I am tryng to lure a fish to hit on the fall.

Quite frankly, there are more versatile lures that can be casted with accuracy and farther reach beneath docks: flukes, senkos, etc.

Should a guy just forgo the light jigs and start using the mid-weight, 1/2 oz or so. Is there that much loss in action or application?

For instance, would you lose effectiveness fishing an inside weedline with a heavier jig versus a lighter one.

Just wanted some opinions from jig veterans.
Randy Fish

I usually base my Jig size on two things. The water depth and water clarity, if I am fishing the river I will consider current in the mix. The clearer the water the heavier the jig 3/8 to 1/2. In clear water, I do not like the fish to get a good look at the jig. I would rather get a reaction bite. In dirty water, I go with a lighter jig with a bulky skirt, 1/4 to 3/8. If I am fishing deeper than 10', I generally fish a 1/2 oz. jig. If I am fishing less than 10' I fish a 3/8 or smaller. You can also manipulate the rate of fall by changing what type of trailer you use, pork to plastic for a quicker fall for example.
Never underestimate the versatility of a jig. I would fish a jig over a senko or lighter finese bait in the docks in most situations. Most jig designs these days a very skippable with a little practice and can reach way back.
I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Clay.P (edited 06-24-2004).]

i do fish small jigs at times,on a little lake near my home do to the fact that this 100 acer lake gets pounded and some times using a 1/8 jig with a small chunck gets more bites . but i use 3/8 to a 1/2 most of the time . my point is to keep an open mind and look at the conditions and circumstances that you are fishing. del

Your correct... it "Depends"

I have about 100 jigs in my boat at any given time. You will not look in my rod locker any time of the year and not find at least 1 rod with a jig tied on, and many times 2 or 3 tied on. I most of the times will use 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs if I am flippin it. Dont worry about them hitting it on the fall.. they still will. As a matter of fact, sometimes it is the fast fall that will trigger the bite. I have followed an anger using a lighter jigs a few times and out fished them with a heavier jig.

HOWEVER, I also have a lot of 1/4 oz and 3/16th jigs that I use for skipping under docks. I usually dont flip these and will often fish them on a 7' MH spinning rod. they actually skip quite well.

For me, the main deciding factor is water clarity. If the water is clear, I will use a slower falling jig, if its dirty I will use a faster falling jig. But I change it up as the fish tell me different!

Good luck!

I, like you, use the Strike King products. You should take a close look at the "Bitsy Flip" as opposed to the "Bitsy bug". The only reason is the hook. Much beefier hook on the Bitsy Flip. It will not straighten out if you hook a good one. The 1/4 and 3/8 will be enough weight for most applications. I use the 3/8oz Bitsy Flip in windy conditions. 1/4 all other times. Usually in high winds it's not the weight of the jig that is so important. It's holding the boat on point that is important so you can maintain bottom contact. I consistantly get more and better bites on smaller jigs up to 3/8 oz.

i read an article about jig'n pigs where they did research on bass eating crayfish. and the testing showed that the bass were more likely to go after a crayfish with a deformed or smaller pincher than go after a really large crayfish... something about an easier meal with less chance of the fish getting injured trying to swollow large pinchers... maybe downsizing whenever possible is a good thing...