• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Let's see your Mouse photos!

leechlake

Seriously for a moment I am now pretty hot at these vermin. Dropped two more last night. 5 kills in 4 nights makes me unhappy since I know they can't be this easy to catch even for an Outfitter like myself. I think it's time to bring out the big artillery and wipe these mice out by any means. I also now need to walk the compound and check for any holes or openings especially on the side of the house where the AC and other pipes come into the house.

Now with 5 kills I'm wondering if I need to call in every night before going hunting to check with the DNR if we've reached the quota in my permit area. I know I shouldn't type this but I don't care about the quota. I can't remember the phrase I believes it's "Shoot, shovel, shut up." I've had enough, this has gone from fun and games and now its serious. I know I should calm down because last year I think I caught about 6 and then never killed another one all season. If I get to double digits I don't know what I'm going to do.

Trapping is only for the hobbiest.

Poison. The green bars. Some go by the name of Tom Cat and can be bought at a Fleet Farm near you. Get the bucket full of them, don't mess around with the little bag. If you have the option to by some that have more poison in them then others, buy the high power stuff.

What I have done so my pet wolf does not get into the bait is to take an (empty) metal coffee can and put three mouse holes on the bottom of the sides. Put a metal wire from a utility marker flag through three, four green bars (they have a hole down the middle) and put the bars and wire into the coffee can. Bend the end of the wires to hold onto the green bars. Put lid back on can. Place can near likely mouse runs.

It is my understanding that a pet wolf would have to eat more than 20 dead poisoned mice before their is any worry, and usually the mice just die in a wall or ceiling to stink up the place for a while.

Good Luck!

sounds like the old Bud Grant baiting issue he ran into. I'd say no but some of the sticklers may not agree. I guess the problem is that you, not the mouse, would have to prove to the CO who left the bait. Catch a CO who's spouse just yelled at them for something and you're looking at a little jail time. Remember the movie The Green Mile? They had that nice little mouse that the big fella just loved. It romanticized mice a bit too much but I digress. If you end up in the Big House due to being wrongly accused of baiting a few things will happen Donbo:

1. Us FM'ers will protest but only outside of Cabelas and Scheels.

2. We will loot. I can see eyeguy coming out with a new smoker, new grinder, new slicer, and an egg poker.

3. Scoot will have elk calls, backpacking frames, tents, and a new youth bow for his ten year old.

4. Harvey Lee- trespassing signs, trail cams, and some nice new ground blinds for the disabled hunt he runs

5. Leechlake-a 5 gallon pail

Please add your "vision" of what looters you see after we "protest" Donbo's 16 year sentence for baiting.

When you guys gut em, do you cut all the way up through the rib cage, or stop short and reach up and cut the trachea? I suppose if I mount em, I have to stop short to leave enough for the cape.

I don't know how to butcher them. I've been looking around for someone local but drawing blanks. Is there a good youtube out there? Something to get me started?

Couple more trail cam photos from moose's porch:

full-20096-51771-kat.jpg

full-20096-51772-kat2.jpg

I can see why the cats are hanging around, there appears to be an overpopulation of mice in his area. Someone should start a set over there. I would, but my tags are all for the north metro zone.

Who cares about the score with a nice tri-color fur coat like that. Brown, gray, and white! Just don't use too big shot or let it set in the trap too long and you should have some nice fur from that one. If it's your only one like that, you might want to think about not trapping that area and hit other areas in hopes that the tri-color gets a chance to spread it's genes. Good luck!