• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When did your scrapes go dead?

fr0sty

I'd highly question the nocturnal statement for MN farmland deer with the volume of pressure it receives.

I can understand that statement, but keep in mind that PA has the highest hunter densities in the nation....by far. I don't know if the deer in the study/article I posted were or were not subjected to the typical PA hunting pressure..but if so, it is far more intense than MN hunting pressure.

I just had a scrape get opened back up this last week, with two big bucks I haven't seen on cam this year until now. I believe the late stage does are in heat now because every time there is a doe on camera, there is a buck on her heels seconds later. Good luck guys!

Interesting. I just don't think like a section at 640 acres with lets say 32 hunters in it in MN if you up that to 42 hunters like a Pennsylvania section that it makes any difference, they'll get educated just the same in a hurry and the older animals will find the ratholes we don't go in.

Interesting. I just don't think like a section at 640 acres with lets say 32 hunters in it in MN if you up that to 42 hunters like a Pennsylvania section that it makes any difference, they'll get educated just the same in a hurry and the older animals will find the ratholes we don't go in.

I'm not aware of anywhere in MN with 32 hunters per square mile. Most areas of central MN range from 9-20 or so.

Hunter densities across the U.S.

http://www.qdma.com/articles/hunter-density-across-the-u.s

Quote:
Find the food, and you'll find the animals.

I might find the animals but there are none moving during the daytime. I havent seen a deer yet in my 3 acres of corn or 2 acres of beans during muzzy season.

4 cams out, and in the in the last 2 weeks I have 2 pictures of deer during daylight.

the nocturnal behavior from early fall through this late in the season is truly frustrating.

As to the original question "When did the scrapes go dead?"

As soon as the rifle slaughter took place during the peak of the rut like happens every year..... I have not seen a freshened scrape since opening weekend I dont believe.

Most sections have open ground or plowed field so out of the 640 maybe 400 is cover so you put those 20 hunters in that and they each get 20 acres, now center that stand and you have a 110 yard poke each way, pressure is pressure and it doesn't take much to educate a mature deer.

I have a relative 3/4 mile east of us and this year he had 8 hunters.... he owns 40 acres.

No lie.....

His neighbor has 40 acres and had 6 people.

Start extrapolating how that density equates to a square mile.... Yikes.

That's just nuts

I think a big problem is... That guys just hunt their 40 acres. They get to attached to THEIR land and over hunt it!!! People need to let areas go!!! if deer are/go nocturnal then move on!!!! if the sign is not their, move on! If all you have is 40 acres then this is what you do.....

1. Put your stand up/trail cams on a wind or rainy day during the first week of Aug. go in scent free as you can.

3. hunt it/ check trail cams in earlier October.

4. hunt it hard for 4 days starting Halloween before gun season.