• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Modifications to Plastic Lures

delmuts

Since the open water season is mostly done and the ice season is still in waiting, thought I would start something. grin

What modifications do you folks do to plastics so they work better/ different?

I love to use power baits when ever I can, but especially in cold water they loose a lot of action when retrieved slow. On the grubs I will trim the base of the tail to narrow it down for more action.( I do try to use ribbon tails when I can, but can't find them in many of the colors I use) This also gets done to Ripple shads and other swim baits. This fall I found the minnows in many areas were more narrow than the regular 2 in. power minnows.( fished on a 1/32 collarless jig) So I trim the bodies to match the bait for pan fish. Made a BIG difference this fall for blue gils and perch!

Other tricks you use?

Here's a few tricks I use b/c I pour my own, and have extra options open to me:

1) To make a curly tail for a bulldawg-esque lure, just pour a flat circle of plastic on a heat resistant surface. I use a cheap metal table. Cut the circle into a spiral, BOOM a big 8-12''curly tail. Too big and it'll tear easily. There are lots of ways to adhere these to plastic or non-plastic lures. I have thrown lures with 3 tails, seems to work well even for small sizes. They do get torn up easy, but whatever cuz I pour my own smile You can also do this to repair old bulldawgs and more expensive lures. If you have a metal dish of the right circumference you can pour thicker tails which will add longevity. I imagine a ton of little tails on a smaller lure might be neat! Nice torn-up wounded fish impersonation with lots of action.

2) When rigging plastics on jigheads, I find I have a problem with the plastic getting pulled down off the jighead. Rather than mess around with glues and whatnot, I just get them rigged while pouring with a mold that has a slot for the jighead. The plastic pours around the jighead's neck and hook shank, makes for a very nice and secure connection for multiple fish. If I get 10 of these pre-rigged, I'm set for a day of fishing. Selecting a jighead with a 'bait-keeper' style neck helps. I've been thinking of making a mold for my own jigheads that have ribbed necks to even better hold on to the plastic poured over it.

Forgot to add one:

Most plastic lures can be remelted and repoured. Take your chewed up missing tail scraps and put them in a pyrex measuring cup. Microwave until ~350*F. Pour away. Do this in a ventilated area, preferably outside. Stuff like gulp, powerbait, gulp alive, etc. probably isn't the right kind of plastic I don't think. Bulldawgs definitely are.