• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best hub style for spearing

KenM1987

I have only been spearing for a few years. I started out using my X2 lined with black plastic. I sold that and ended up getting the Fatfish 949I and highly recommend it. Me and my buddy spear out of it together and go face to face which is nice as he can see what is coming underneath my side and I can for him. If you watch my video that was taken out of my Fatfish. It was -15 when we were fishing and only had the big buddy heater on low. Nice thing about the insulated is the moisture doesn't build up inside. If you only plan on having 1 person in the house I would go with the 767I. I did use my 949I to sleep in for opening deer hunting last weekend and it worked great. We kept the Big buddy on low and were more then enough comfortable in it. Only issue is they are not waterproof so we cover it with a tarp incase it rains when we sleep in it. My buddy just picked one up at Cab last weekend with all the deals and discount was only $183.

Another vote for Eskimo products from the neighbor_guy camp.

I use a 767 non insulated when I use a porty, and like everyone else will not do so without a floor. If I used it more, or could have found one, I would have gotten a 767i. I can fish 2 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids in it very comfortably. With a 44"x34" hole.

I have a really nice permanent but hate moving it from lake to lake. I have a feeling it might not get much use this year. One complaint is I have no idea how you would ever get that strap that goes around the house itself back on there. I can't fold that up tight enough to even get it close

I'm getting a polar fire (HT Enterprises) deluxe thermal hub. It's the only thermal hub on the market that is a black out house. I've heard nothing but good things and the price is really reasonable. $220 for the 2 man $300 for the 4 man which I'm going to get. It's base is 7'x7' so it's a size up from my eskimo quickfish 3. Plus the exterior is black too so it will soak up the sun and heat itself. Just like a cooler should only be white a fish house should only be black.

Here's a review on that house, only issue is you'll probably have to get it shipped to you.

Polar fire deluxe 4 review

95532EA3-F9F3-40AB-8246-7B788DEE58DE.jpg

don't want to highjack this thread but thinking of getting one as well.

questions to those of you that started with the quickfish then went to the insulated hubs.

are they easier to set up/take down, or about the same? Are they darker for spearing?

I've noticed there are a handful of non-insulated ones on hsolist but no insulated ones for sale. (tells me people are up-grading)

don't want to highjack this thread but thinking of getting one as well.

questions to those of you that started with the quickfish then went to the insulated hubs.

are they easier to set up/take down, or about the same? Are they darker for spearing?

I've noticed there are a handful of non-insulated ones on hsolist but no insulated ones for sale. (tells me people are up-grading)

I started with a Quickfish non insulated then went to the insulated version.

They are the same as far as setting up and taking down. The insulated houses are darker then non insulated.

how do these hold up on windy days?? is the setup similar to a ground blind with the center hubs?? ive used my clam which is ok, but if it's windy it flaps, and i have to cover it to stay dark enough.

They are center hub design. My 949I flaps less then my Quickfish 4 did. They redesigned the hubs and they take the wind much better. I still have to screw stakes in and tie down the sides on a real windy day though.

I think the Eskimos are quite a bit darker then the Clams.

set mine up in the wind on Mille Lacs today and boy that was a real treat. I anchored every corner before I popped mine out. I can see that thing turning into a kite. But now after using it this year I absolutely love mine fore spearing.

Sorry for a stupid question guy's, why do some of you feel you need a floor when spearing out of a portable hub house? I've ice fished for over 30 years but have never speared before.

Besides comfort and not being wet its easier to see with a floor in the house. Its darker in the house with a floor.