• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

243 ammo

Hockey,

We had scope problem with the kids rifle and burned up most of our supply correcting it. Sometimes you wind up shooting more than one shell during the season. Thanks for the advice though.

I looked in small and big shops from Outing to the north metro and was amazed to see only the 243's out of stock. The store cashiers all said they were selling a ton of that caliber in particular. Heck, 2 Fleet Farms were completely out while having plenty of other stuff on hand. I met two different people looking for them when I was too.

Just thought I'd share the tip for others looking. Going back to my imperfect world now...

I haven't seen more than a couple boxes of 243 rounds regardless of when I looked. To top it off they were varmit rounds at that.

I guess I picked the wrong round for my son to start rifle hunting with. I was able to trade a guy a box of 80 grain for 100 grain so that will last him years but still frustrating.

Very short supply here to. I can reload, but it's making me wonder if I should be buying as much brass for 243 I can find right now. My wife shoots a lot of Win PP ammo for practice and I save the brass, but it's been almost obsolete for two years. We've been buying the 80 gr just because it's all we can find here and there. Not sure why you can get 30-30, 30-06, 270, 7mm's, 300's, etc but no 243?????

Are there a lot of AR's chambered for 243?

I'm not really into ARs but I don't recall hearing that as a normal round for em. FF had plenty other small caliber center fires; there was just a big void when you came to the 243 stack. We're thinking it's just the most popular round for youth and possibly women hunters who happen to be making up most of the new hunter ranks these days.

Maybe there's something about production too but I know the demand is high.

I'm not really into ARs but I don't recall hearing that as a normal round for em. FF had plenty other small caliber center fires; there was just a big void when you came to the 243 stack. We're thinking it's just the most popular round for youth and possibly women hunters who happen to be making up most of the new hunter ranks these days.

Maybe there's something about production too but I know the demand is high.

Hunters are also getting older. Maybe they are buying lighter guns with less recoil?

I checked with a large retailer with some questions pertaining to 243 shortage here was his response... "In the last two months we've gotten in around 100 rounds of .243 and 20,000 rounds of .223, .223 is definitely taking priority in production."

I have read that hornady has dropped production completely of certain rounds and many 243 types were on the list. Apparently the ammo companies are focussing on rounds that have the highest demand. 243 is a common hunting round but a round 223 is a far more common round overall so rather than switching over to make 243 they are focussing on 223 since they sell everything they make there which is more than 243 to begin with.