• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer hunting Pics

I guess I will post a couple.

Here is part of the 40 my brother and I own. It was select cut about 4 years ago and they took most of the oak. The guy lost it in foreclosure so he thought it would be a good idea to rape it before it went back to the bank.

There was lots limbs and trash left all over and we cleaned this area off by hand. It was a lot of work, but well worth it. We sprayed it around fourth of July and then came back and seeded it radishes and rye grass around Aug 1. It was all done as just a broadcast on top of the ground. Has been a huge hit for the deer in our area. Approximately 10,000 sq feet. Hope to get it to 40,000 next year and plant spruce trees all around it with a corridor leading to another plot the same size with more spruce. Water and THICK cover very close by already.

First picture Aug 1

Second picture Labor Day

Third pic from trail cam around end of Sept. and then they started to use it.

full-40170-51179-pict0038.jpg

full-40170-51180-pict0086.jpg

full-40170-51181-mfdc0001.jpg

full-40170-51182-mfdc0207.jpg

full-40170-51183-mfdc0281.jpg

full-40170-51184-mfdc0471.jpg

full-40170-51185-mfdc0716.jpg

full-40170-51186-mfdc0876.jpg

full-40170-51187-mfdc0985.jpg

full-40170-51188-mfdc1059.jpg

full-40170-51189-mfdc1090.jpg

full-40170-51190-mfdc1143.jpg

We sure had lots of smaller rutting bucks fighting in the plot. Just dont think it was big enough for them. That one with the broken antler should make a real nice ten if he can make it to next year. Kinda think the antler is laying in the plot, but didnt go back to look. Counted 9 different bucks out there. Almost all at night. Want to get the bedroom made right there so they dont have to leave. Radishes were very tasty.

Great food plot. Did you use a pre mix seed or make it up yourself. Looking at doing the same on my 20 acres in 157.

My brother got the seed and we mixed it ourselves. I am pretty sure that August rain really benefited us big time doing the no-till deal. It really drew them in. I was sure impressed. Do it and learn from your mistakes. Next year we are gonna try to get it seeded around the third weekend in July to get a little more tonnage, and a longer window to catch that much needed first rain. I think if you can do it closer to a bedding area you may get them in there closer to shooting hours later in the season. Ours is close to thick stuff, but I dont think they bed in it. They just move through it. Good Luck!