• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Meat and Red Beer

Yep, started my first batch of jerky for the season last night. I would like to put one more deer in the freezer before I start grinding though. That's a one-time-only deal at my house.

Tiger Meat Recipe

Ingredients

- 3 tsp. cayenne pepper

- 16 dashes Tabasco sauce

- 1 large red onion, diced

- 3 sticks celery, diced

- 4 Tbsp. black pepper

- 4 Tbsp. ground coarse sea salt

- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

- 5 lbs. sirloin, cubed

- 5 raw eggs yolk*

*Hull’s recipe calls for whole eggs, but I’d recommend using just the yolks instead just to be safe.

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients, except for the meat and eggs, in a mixing bowl and set aside. In separate bowl combine sirloin and eggs. Mix well, then add ingredients from dry bowl and mix well.

Run all ingredients through grinder with the finest die you have. Ideally, you should let it sit overnight in the refrigerator to allow all the ingredients come to full flavor. Needless to say, this should be eaten within a day or so of making it, or freeze it right after making a batch.

From Field and Stream. I usually cut down to 1/5th to use one pound of beef/veni.

I think eyeguy is eating "sushi grade" venni. blush Seriously, if you ground it fresh and ate immediately and/or froze and then thawed, I see no issues. The "experts" say its all about the surface area. That ground meat has more potential for bacteria than steaks, chops, etc.

I've eaten some medium rare pork chops on the bone at fancy places before with no ill effects. That's how you're supposed to prepare it I guess.

I also went to a healthy cooking and prep class when I worked for a "fancy" grocery store chain in the Cities that begins with a B. "Dr. Death," our instructor, told us that chicken or pork was no different than beef in terms of its potential for making you sick or the cooking methods employed. So I've always went on the temps and principles involved versus the types of meat taken, etc. Good luck

had a little problem gutting a buck last weekend when dealing with the urine area. I make tiger meat with ground steak but I'm thinking the hind end of that buck wouldn't be a very good candidate.

We annually have tiger meat when pheasant hunting we get at Kesslers in Aberdeen. I try not to make but once more a year at home to keep it tasting so good due to infrequency of eating it. It's fantastic.