• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chasing birds during the rifle season

Put blaze orange on your dog.

If the area is occupied by a large number of hunters ... a deer drive ... move somewhere else. Deer drives result in a good share of injuries and fatalities in MN and this is typically people in the same party.

If the area is occupied by a single vehicle and you see the guy out there on the stand ... it become a "your call situation".

Most prairie deer hunters take mid-day off from stands. Get to a good WPA or WMA before them in the afternoon so you have "first rights". If the guy still goes to his stand ... then he knows the situation.

If a big group shows up and "muscles you out" ... probably best to move on.

I love my bird hunting but it is something I will NEVER do again during the gun season. Muzzleloader is one thing, but not regular firearm.

After having several slugs fly over our heads because these knuckleheads jumped out of their truck when they saw us pushing a swamp, stood ON the road and we kicked up a fawn, all 5 of them started blasting RIGHT AT US!!!

That was it. Never again. No amount of orange can cure stupid.

If you go, go where no one else is and stay far far away from anyone.

We were on our way back to the truck when this happened.

I've seen a few guys out chasing roosters during firearms season. I see no problem with it. Heck, if anything you might kick up a deer for the guy sitting in the tree.

The other 99% of the time you are just going to tick that guy off. smile

It's legal, it's your right, and it's your call, but I sure wouldn't want to mess around with a dog in the woods in an area known to hold deer hunters. Them being there doesn't affect your bird hunting, but your dog's scent being their sure messes with their deer hunting, and it's bound to lead to some arguments/confrontations.

You'll be fine. I duck hunt and pheasant hunt all deer season and never have a problem. I shot my limit of roosters yesterday in a spot guys just finished driving for deer. I went out today and got 1 rooster as well.

In the prairie region deer hunters see a patch of woods and congregate to it like flies to... you know. Allot of great pheasant land is void of deer hunters. All I do is hunt land people aren't deer hunting. If you go to public land and there's a truck you can guarantee he's in the patch of trees on the land. Just stay away from that area. I go to my spots and if deer hunters are there I go elsewhere.

I'm with Eric on this one, it is public land and although deer hunting is sacred in MN there is plenty of space here in MN. People are going to be mad but if you kick up that trophy buck and they bag it they will be thankfull.....

Kettle