• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MInnesota Success!!

Dag1980

Well we had a very good first weekend of gun season. My cousin was able to connect on a really nice 11 pt and my parents got a spike.

As for me I hunted very hard the week leading up to gun season with my bow. I did hang and hunt stands, sat all day, and still nothing to show for it. I had passed some little bucks and many does/fawns with the bow.

Now gun season rolled around and opening morning I passed on a big doe with two fawns right under my tree. The next morning I didn't get out till about 10 minutes after legal shooting in fear of winding woods next to my parents. Well before I could start to stand my cousin text me saying "buck Down" m, so I went and helped him . while helping him we heard a shot form where my parents were and sure enough they got one. So my decision not to walk to my stand had paid off for them.

So after getting those deer taking care of and going home to do some work. I decided to head back out around 1 pm . As I was walking to my stand I came over a little hill and right there about 60 yds little 6 pt and a doe. I just stood there as they waved by with those pretty white tails as they went into the woods. I then changed course and angled to my stand to the east . I get to my stand ( standing their for a minute or two putting out doe pee) and all of a sudden a doe jumped up right under my stand maybe 15 yds away which then snorts and heads north. I get into my stand its about 1:30 now. Then about 2:15 I look to my left , then right and there was a deer crossing in front of me about 100-120 yds away. I get the binos up and its a different buck(maybe 4-6pt) hit the fenceline I was on and headed south.

I just had a feeling with all this deer moving early I would see something hopefully later. Well I looked at my cellphone at 4:23 and told myself I would stand up at 4:30 till dark for better movement. Well it wasn't 30 seconds later I heard a stick break, look over see some movement, then a head with a decent right side. I said i'm shooting him. reach over grab my muzzleloader, get him in the scope , crosshairs on him right before he's getting ready to walk into the corn and BAM!!!! I see him mule kick ( I swear his hinds legs were higher then the standing corn), I watch him run off about 60 yds . faceplant flip twice and done. I don't think I touched one step down the climbing sticks. As I approached him I thought he was decent and I got closer, and closer and I was like holy "bleep" he's way bigger then I thought. He's a main frame 8 pt with a kicker off the right brow tine. he grosses 143 1/8. I can't describe the feelings I had because all this hard work over the years had finally paid off! full-48818-51016-benpicbuck.jpg

Yep. He's pretty symmetrical for the most part. I worry about the gross score because "nets" are for fishing and a deer can't control what they grow on their heads. I never did understand why they do a net score. Either way i am extremely happy about this deer! Thanks for the comments ! Good luck this weekend to everyone .