• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you run chains on your front tires?

slick2526

I think it would really depend if you intend on pulling a lot. If you do then on all 4 would be important, but if you are mainly using it to get through snow with a small portable in two behind, then I think you are ok with just the rear. Most of the time its clearance issues that you run into with the depth of the snow before you run out of traction.

I personally dont even run chains. I pull an otter lodge fishhouse behind my Arctic Cat and only been stuck once where I needed assistance. The other times I am able to jockey it back and forth to get it out.

I run chains on the rear and my front tires are studded. I have no issues pulling the portable and the wheel house but I watch out and avoid big drifts when pulling the big house. Reason I studded the front tires it was hard to turn on ice with very little snow but now with the studs, the front tires turn very well, no pushing trying to turn or corner.

I don't own one of these things but I have to ask, since it seems like several folks do two only -- why would you run only two? Just the hassle of putting all 4 on? Or is it the cost of the additional 2 chains? Or do the front chains degrade performance somehow (other than traction)?

Manufacturers recommend not using chains on the front due to excessive wear on the front diff. My argument has always been if the machine is 4x4, how is it any different than spinning the tires and the front suddenly gains traction coming out of some mud or putting the front under load or stress while in 4x4?

Not that I'm discrediting what the mfgr's are saying. I just don't think it's as bad as they claim.

Manufacturers recommend not using chains on the front due to excessive wear on the front diff. My argument has always been if the machine is 4x4, how is it any different than spinning the tires and the front suddenly gains traction coming out of some mud or putting the front under load or stress while in 4x4?

Not that I'm discrediting what the mfgr's are saying. I just don't think it's as bad as they claim.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation. Seems like it could hold some merit.

Picked up V-bar chains for my 1999 Spotrsman 500. I had to return the set for the front tires. Not enuf clearance the chain would hit left front steering arm. Rear set fit good and plowed driveway at cabin for the first time this year with over 12" of snow on the ground. What a difference rear chains make! If I could only have chains on the front that machine would go through anything!

I run studded diamond pattern on the rears and two link v bars on the fronts. Any quad with a macpherson strut type of suspension will have issues with chain clearance in the front. I believe polaris is the main user of this suspension geometry.