• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a new trail cam

snoozebutton

Right now I have a Primos Truth Ultra 35 that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and eats through batteries fast. Before this I had the original Truth 35 that I loved but a bear chewed on it and broke the lens. BTW, the Ultra 35 worked flawlessly the first season but now it's pretty iffy plus I can never get the time and date to work.

What I want is a camera that will last more than one season and isn't a battery hog, any recommendations out there?

I bought 2 Primos (refurbished) 35's off of ?bay for half price. They work perfect the battery life is excellent going on 3 months and both are at 85% and that's with probably 5,000 pictures. There was a lot of pictures of nothing but where I had them set up was pointed toward a corn field and I believe the stalks were setting it off. Now that the corn is picked I don't get the blank pictures. Videos work great also. I would buy these again for sure.

For me, I would get a reconyx hc600. They work in all temperature conditions and battery life is excellent. Reconyx stands by them, even going to far as to repair them outside the 1 year warranty.

I also have a bushnell trophy cam (hd max) that is also great. Night pics are not a good as the reconyx, but battery life is similar. Trigger speed is slightly slower as well.

I got tired of spending $100 on a camera to have them dump out after a year or so.

I would vote for a moultrie M880. Have a bushnell trophy cam and I despise the night pics.

Last year some of my group got the 880 for like $105 out the door on a black friday sale off of amazon. runs on 8AA batteries and I highly suggest getting the energizer lithium off amazon too. Should run you $14 or so, and mine have lasted for 2 years and probably taken 8-10,000 pics.

Here is a sample. full-40170-50748-mfdc0027.jpg

I have 4 Bushnell Trophy Cams and am very happy with them. This year I picked up a couple $50 Tasco cameras and am pleasantly surprised with them. The battery life is excellent and they take good pics too. I've only had them out a couple months, so not sure how they do in the cold, but will find out soon.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

2 votes for Bushnell

2 votes for Moultrie M880

1 for ReconX

1 for Browning

I've heard good things about the ReconX but the price kind of scares me off. Yeah it's better to buy one that lasts rather than buy a new one each year but I always worry about thieves.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

2 votes for Bushnell

2 votes for Moultrie M880

1 for ReconX

1 for Browning

I've heard good things about the ReconX but the price kind of scares me off. Yeah it's better to buy one that lasts rather than buy a new one each year but I always worry about thieves.

Reconyx is the best you can buy off the shelf, but I'll never buy one, they are just too expensive to leave out unattended (for me).

The other 3 are all good options, at a decent price point. On majority, you'll hear good things about all of them, and then there will be a few people that have problems with all of them (which I believe boils down to user error in a lot of cases).

Reconyx are the best hands down. They are very expensive as guys have said. I have 3 Moulties 5 MP's and a Minox. I bought the Minox at the North American Wild Sheep Banquet in the silent auction. I paid about half of sticker price and I have been very impressed with the operation and pictures and videos it takes. Trigger speed seems to be very fast. Its a compact camera that runs on 10 AA's. I have been running the camera since July and I just put the second set of batteries in it. I would consider another Minox for my next camera.

Bought two Browning Strike Force cams and am very happy with performance, price, ease of setup, battery life. Includes Time Lapse Plus, set for motion activated pics after Time Lapse mode expires.

I am a fan of the Moultrie cams. I have two 880i's and one older one. My buddy I hunt with has about 10 990i's. All good pics and excellent battery life.

Agree Reconyx is the best if money isn't an object, but who wants to have several grand in cameras out hanging in trees? Yikes.

Big Game cameras are junk and while I like their stands I'd never have a camera of theirs.

Heard good things about Bushnell for lower priced cameras too.

I am looking for a new camera as well. I have two Moutries, one is an older model that has a slow trigger speed but takes good pictures if the deer aren't moving much, and also bought the 990i last year and I can't imagine a better camera. My friend has a Wildgame camera and I haven't been impressed with the pictures.

I like what BuckSutherland did and added a picture to his post, that would help to judge. This camera takes as clear as can be daytime pictures and pretty decent night pictures as well.

full-16090-51315-mfdc0312.jpg

full-16090-51314-mfdc0051.jpg