• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recording your hunt

Bambito

Do any of you record your hunts? If so, what kind of video camara/recorder do you use. I want to record my wife's hunt this year and am looking at getting one. I want one that is meant for the outdoors. Meaning it can take cold temps. We only muzzleload so temps can be in the negatives that time of year. Suggestions? Thanks

I've tried to record quite a few outdoor events. If I try to use my phone I inevitably screw up and if it's fishing I lose the fish or hunting I screw up somehow there too. The Go Pro is the only way to got for me. Over the past years I've recorded quite a few things but really only a few turned out good enough to save. I did however get my son shooting his first deer and I watched it last night even though it was about 4 years ago. That video alone paid for the camera in my eyes.

Never had an issue with the cold with mine either, but I don't think I've used it when it was below 20 degrees.

While gopros are nice. I feel in the hunting world they are not the best. Sure they are easier to film your hunt yourself. But If you are going to be doing the hunting and someone else filming a good hd camcorder is the best option to go. Go to the store and ask them what is available I have seen some that are waterproof and ment for sub zero temps.

I think gopros lens and lack of zoom hurt them I the hunting world. Maybe the gopro4 is better I have not seen it yet. But I have never been impressed with gopro hunting footage unless it was close range bow shot. Just my opinion

Bambito if you're looking toward the route of the GoPro type camcorder I wouldn't, the lack of a screen alone would push me away. The camera I would recommend is the Fastcam, sold by Fastcap, you can watch a video of a fastcam and a go pro side by side. The best part is that for $300, it comes with a 1.3" screen an extra battery and a wall charger and a 16G SD card and quite a few mounts. Check it out on their HSOforum, I have one that I use for time studies and it's great.

I would suspect that just about any rig you find may have problems in the cold as it saps battery life. I suspect you will want to zoom in and out and that type of feature would be high on the list. Maybe a second battery that you could switch out would help. Keep one in a baggie in your pocket and switch them out when the one in use shows it is at 50%. Have a still camera at hand for the trophy shots and you should be well covered.

Not sure the GoPro is the solution you want. Great if you want to wear it on your head or put it on the dog but I don't think that's your use as you posted.