• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winnie GTG Dec. 5-7 let the fun begin

MJ1657

full-32630-51844-img_20141207_122315_796

full-32630-51845-img_20141207_122458_329

full-32630-51846-img_20141207_122804_225

Its all wrapped up.

Bowhunt is the new Nord Lord! Rengel was 2nd and Dorkfish 3rd. Big thanks to Neighborguy and Dorkfish for making the giveaway decoys. They were awesome.

Wanderer won the Fishtoys ice saw. I think that may have sealed the deal on turning him into a full blown spear fisherman.

Huge thanks to Wayne from Fishtoys ice saws for donating the saw to our event.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2F5A8591-516D-46A6-90DA-C7188B20A98D.jpg

The look on the gooses face says it all!!!

We didn't get a good shot of wanderers that would fit forum policy or I would share. whistle my fault...

In the end the fun, the fellowship, the food, it all made for one heck of a trip!!! It's the one I look forward to the most every year and its a fantastic way to kick off the season. Thank you mike for organizing it.

Also a big thanks to Dixons for taking care of us the way they do and to the MDAA, Fish Toys, and everyone else who donated time and items to the event.

P.S. The decoys all swim, from the "Wonder Bread" decoy given away Saturday, to the trophy decoys today. I hope they all have teeth marks by the end of the season. Be safe and we will see you in February.

Had a great time. Introduced my son's friend to spearing and he got one Sunday. He is now hooked. I missed 2 but managed to get a rock lol. We saw several that just wouldn't come all the way in. Caught perch and rock bass and saw some very large walleyes. Ride home was interesting in the ice. Can't wait to go back. Thanks to everyone that makes these events happen and thank you to all decoy donor's and to FISH toys ice saws.

Mwal

I didn't see any winning fish in any pic. Did anyone else see any fish?????? shockedwink

I didn't even get to see the gold and silver winners! cry I was in the fish cleaning shack when the bronze winner was filleted though. Basically it went 30, 29 , and 28 inches. The biggest pike iced was Matt's on the tip up but that didn't count at a spearing event. grin

Most fish harvested were in the mid-20 inch range. Nice eaters. Some big girls were seen but they were a little hole shy and in the case of our shack, a little ADD tipped the odds in the fish's favor. wink

I was glad I attended the event. Meeting forum members is always enjoyable. People are almost never what you expect but always nice and easy to have a good time with. We all get to share our excitement with others who can appreciate it.

I felt like I got a peek into another culture. Spearing seems to be more of a craftsman type angling past time. So many of the items used are made by the people who have a passion for the sport and with artist type abilities. The array of decoys made by the group is AMAZING. The quality, variety, and sheer creativity is in its own arena. Moving on to the tools; the spears, saws, block pullers (can't remember the real name), custom tools and fish house mods all have a purpose. Utility first, pieces of flair of second. But the subtle differences in equipment make it intriguing.

Winning the Fish Toys saw was huge for me. After using Matt's to saw out our blocks I know that's the way to go. Thanks so much for the donation!!! cool I've honestly done very little ice fishing around home for years now. Out of town trips were the only thing getting me on the ice. Now there's a great big new world to explore and I have all these ideas on places I want to try. I have a few more tools to pick up (like a spear!) but I feel it coming! I think I'll buy a Powerball Wednesday too. Merk, you don't have to ship it - I'll drive and pick it up!!!! gringrin

Guys, thanks for the GREAT time!

Wanderer,

It was nice to meet and chat with you also. Spearing becomes a passion its all about the experience. Some get enjoyment out of waiting for the big one some take eaters and try to film larger fish. There is a ton of just watching how fish react to your collection of as my wife calls them men's bath tub toys AKA decoys. in the off season they are on display at my house as well. We are a very misunderstood group of people sometimes and these get togethers just highlight how much fun you can have and how talented some of the people are in carving painting or customizing items they need to make there experience on the ice a better one. If you are coming from the angling side what a way to sight fish panfish. You truly see how they react to your presentations which will make you a better fisherman when staring at a vexilar screen if you can stand the boredom of that compared to watching a 30x50 living aquarium view. By the way I missed my pike but was able to get a nice rock to the surface there should be a trophy for that. LOL No to touch up the spear tips before I try again Sunday.

Mwal

Sam and I really had a great time, Thanks for inviting us to participate. It was great meeting everyone Friday night and put some faces to screen names.

Also a special thanks from Sam for the kids decoys. He didn't spear anything on Saturday. But speared 3 on Sunday 2 of them came in to one of the new ones he was given sat noon. full-36293-51893-samsfishes12714.jpg

Great post Wanderer.... Drawing for the Amish spear is tomorrow at 8 PM at the Cambridge city park.

I will post the winner here immediately after the drawing... good luck to all who bought tickets.

Mwal. .. not sure about a trophy for the largest rock speared.. but if you would have filmed it you could have entered it into the look and release competition. laugh

Great Job Sam on putting those new decy to work!!!!

was the lucky decoy the red and white or the brown one?

-Merk