• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winnie GTG Dec. 5-7 let the fun begin

MJ1657

As long as the weather holds and wheeler traffic is a go I will have my house and a spare in play should it be needed.

Also just for my own curiosity, do I need to get a spearing endorsement for the goose? At some point i may need some quite time to stare into the abys. And she is excited to play with the decoys she has made this summer. Is she cool to sit in the house on her own or does she need a licenced "adult"???

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured I'd give a little run down of events.

A lot of us get up there Friday morning and set houses. Pizza and beverages in the lodge Friday night. Potluck on the ice at noon saturday. I'll have a bbq grill if anyone needs to use it. Official Nord Lord presentation at noon on sunday. I got a peek at the 1st 2nd and 3rd place decoys and whoever gets them is a lucky guy or girl.

I'll have a bump board by my house for official measurements throughout the weekend.

If anyone needs anything or if someone wants to come that doesn't have a house or equipment let me know. Between all of us we could probably set a small army up to spear.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

The Minnesota Darkhouse And Angling Association will be giving away 4 decoys to the youngest active darkhouse spearers out there.

And the East Central Chapter will be donating a $50 decoy certificate for best look and release as voted on by the forum members here.

Also just for my own curiosity, do I need to get a spearing endorsement for the goose? At some point i may need some quite time to stare into the abys. And she is excited to play with the decoys she has made this summer. Is she cool to sit in the house on her own or does she need a licenced "adult"???

Under 18 no endorsement needed.

no stipulations about having to have an adult around.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/license_detail.html?id=12

As long as the weather holds and wheeler traffic is a go.

barring any big snow it should be good.

From the dixon lake HSOforum:

Nov. 21st. Cold weather has brought us early ice. We have our spear houses out on 7 inches of ice, with little to no snow. Ice as far as you can see. Closer to the landing the snow cover is about 1 to 2 inches and there is some slushing and the ice is about 5 inches.

IMG_0271.JPG

Hi,

I met some of you on Borden for the late season run, if I can swing it with work we'd like to join you at Winnie this year will be my and my 14yo.

Hey Mwal did you find someone to share a cabin yet? Did you happen to check prices?

also curious does anyone know how much are dixons rental houses, and do we set up fairly close to them?

thanks Jayson

I hope you guys can make it.

$40 a day guest $50 non for a single. $80 guest $100 non for a double. They have 4 doubles.

Sometimes were close to their houses other times not. Its really not a big deal if we are as the third river is only so big.

We will have ATVs and sleds to pull people and their equipment out if anyone needs it.

If anyone is in need of that pm me and I'll send you my phone number.

I read in the Darkhouse paper I was donating an Icesaw and thought what the heck nobody contacted me about it. I called merkman and we got it figured out so there will be an Icesaw giving to a lucky person. Have fun and I hope the weather cooperates.

Well bad news looks like I wont be able to make it this year, thought I would be able to make it up Saturday AM and stay over night but my wife has to work all weekend so I have to play Mr mom all weekend. If I'm lucky I might be able to pull off a quick day trip to Mille Lacs. Have fun boys

Well bad news looks like I wont be able to make it this year, thought I would be able to make it up Saturday AM and stay over night but my wife has to work all weekend so I have to play Mr mom all weekend. If I'm lucky I might be able to pull off a quick day trip to Mille Lacs. Have fun boys

Well dang it anyway.

so couple more questions:

on Friday how early does everyone try to start setting up houses? Does anyone spear Friday afternoon? and do you just stay Friday night and go on Saturday or do most stay sat night also and fish Sunday?

thanks

(Mwal just let me know I can try to grab a hotel room also.)

Jayson

My son's friend is going to room with me. He is a newbie and excited to go. MJ we will come up early Friday. Will need your contact info so we can meet and get set up on Friday. I am trying to book at gosh dam place or see if dixons have a 2 person spot.

Mwal

so couple more questions:

on Friday how early does everyone try to start setting up houses? Does anyone spear Friday afternoon? and do you just stay Friday night and go on Saturday or do most stay sat night also and fish Sunday?

thanks

(Mwal just let me know I can try to grab a hotel room also.)

We usually set up Friday late morning early afternoon and unless we are standing around bsing to much we spear Friday afternoon. We stay Saturday and spear until around noon on sunday.

Jayson

My son's friend is going to room with me. He is a newbie and excited to go. MJ we will come up early Friday. Will need your contact info so we can meet and get set up on Friday. I am trying to book at gosh dam place or see if dixons have a 2 person spot.

Mwal

I sent you a pm.

Jayson,

We booked a room at the the place MJ1657 listed The Gosh Dam place. It's at the other end of Winnie so it will be a little drive each day. Perhaps we can stash my ATV and trailer with those at the Dixion lake Resort will figure it out friday when we meet up with everyone and start sawing holes. Can't wait. I hope my son's friend likes it. He and his dad forge knives and said hmmm I wonder what making a spear would be like.

Mwal

Jayson,

We booked a room at the the place MJ1657 listed The Gosh Dam place. It's at the other end of Winnie so it will be a little drive each day. Perhaps we can stash my ATV and trailer with those at the Dixion lake Resort will figure it out friday when we meet up with everyone and start sawing holes. Can't wait. I hope my son's friend likes it. He and his dad forge knives and said hmmm I wonder what making a spear would be like.

Mwal

hey Mwal,

sounds good glad you found someone, I may try to find someplace closer or else I will try the same place.

MJ,

Thanks for the info, we will try to get up there as early as possible on Friday will be early afternoon at the earliest so will have to find you guys on the ice.

I have a portable house that son and I can both sit in, so I would sit with him fri/sun. but I'm thinking I may rent one from the resort for Saturday.

I've never been there is it a small enough area that I could set up my house near the rentals, and still be able to join the rest for lunch? and do you think the resort will be ok with me doing this? (renting one day using my own the next?)