• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Chasing Does??

JJJ

Saw lots of deer last night. One 8 pointer had a yearling doe running for her life in the river bottom last night at 5pm. Notta this morning, notta tonight. Dude, where's the rubs and scrapes this time of year?!!

vister,

Interesting you ask where the rubs and scrapes are. My dad's land is north of Grand Rapids. We haven't seen any scrapes or rubs and we have 4 different bucks on camera.

Tonight my dad and brother sat and in comparing notes they saw 13 does and fawns, different deer mind you.

Granted that buck to doe is out of whack a bit but we should be seeing some buck activity, other than the nocturnal pics on the cams.

Wierd!!!

Gonna pull an 11am to dark sit tomorrow, then a 10 to 5 sit on Tue, and a 11 to 5 sit on Wed. On nights this week. Hoping to put one in the freezer so I can concnetrate on sitting with my daughter opening weekend of rifle to see if she can score on a buck.

Good luck guys and gals!!!

Brian

True about the scrapes and rubs. I've only just started seeing some scrapes this last week. Haven't seen one single rub! and haven't seen any bucks either. Sat from lunch to dark Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Nothing. hope it gets busy soon! I'm running out of vacation time!

Wannafish2

talking with a buddy in the elk river area he said he saw his first chase Saturday morning and then saw a lot of activity the rest of the weekend. he said no sign until the past week when a few rubs and scrapes appeared. I called him last night and he said he had a monster pushing a doe around his yard at 4:30 in the afternoon. I went to land in Princeton and we found rubs and scrapes...hopefully the rut is going full force on Saturday as I want to see the big guy that is running the ptown property!!!

After some small buck activity last night, 8 doe and 1 coyote in the headlights driving to morning location. I was feeling good. Nothing while on stand today. It did not help to wake up at 130am and watch the clock until 415.

Sat last night (Sunday)and didn't see much until right before dark. Had three does comes through and there was a little spike chasing them all around. He sure was love sick for them, but they didn't really seem to interested in him yet.

Woo hoo!!! Used the can call to call in a basket racked spike tonight! Finally saw a buck, other than the ones on the trail cam pics. LOL

Also had pics of a fork making a scrape under one of my stands this morning before day light.

More daytime pics in the last few days on the cams, mainly before noon.

Back at it in the morning, trigger finger's getting itchy!!!

Brian

Smaller bucks seem to be pretty active right now with some bigger guys getting on their feet during daylight hours. The prerut is starting but seems to be isolated, a hot doe will get the big guys up during the daylight, otherwise they are still pretty nocturnal. Been seeing quite a few bucks on the move mid morning, but nothing huge yet, mainly spikes and baskets, one mature buck and one 2.5 year old. I'm getting more reports though of people seeing larger bucks, always on the move or trailing does. Scrapes and rubs on the farm I hunt haven't been hit in the last couple of weeks, I expect that when they do open back up, I will start seeing the big guys roaming. 5 miles away where I will firearm hunt, it is much more active, regular scrapes and rubs staying open and bigger bucks moving during the daylight hours. Lots of corn still in the fields and the weather forecast is starting to look suspect for opener.

Last night I had a small fawn walk in just before dark. Then about 5mins after a rattling sequence and grunting I had a 120ish buck come out all bristled up and looking for the commotion. He was even down wind and didn't really care. Even put his nose up and looked up at me lol.

This morning I was out and as I just got to the platform of my stand about 20 mins before legal shooting I had a buck chasing a doe and ran her by me twice. Never did get to see how big he was. Then about 730 had a small 10 point at 15yds. One of those deals where they are behind you and that dam squirrel has been back there in the leaves rustling around for 30 mins. I guess I need to think its a deer more then a squirrel lol. Either way I saw him at least, not a shooter for me. Going to go out in the morning for my last sit before heading north for rifle hunting.

I sat this morning from 6:30 to 10:30 and didn't see a thing.

Sure felt "bucky" out there this morning.

Heavy cloud cover, west wind at 10 mph, weather front moving in.

Getting frustrated with northern MN deer hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I see plenty of deer and usually have a couple opportunities a fall and most years I fill my tag.

I'm just sick of not seeing hardly ANY rut activity.

Seriously. I've hunted my dad's property for 28 years and can count on one hand the number of times, I've seen a buck chasing does or "wall worthy" bucks and I make it a point to put my time in, especially the 2 weeks before rifle season and during rifle season.

We've taken 2 130" range deer off the property during that time.

I've taken a few decent 8 ptrs and in recent years have passed up similar bucks, waiting for a bigger one that never shows.

Time to start planning an out of state rut hunt for next fall.

Sick of the DNR thinking of our deer herd as a cash crop.

I bet if there was 1 deer left in MN the DRN would still try to sell 100,00 + licenses.

End rant. LOL Let's go WILD!!!

Brian

Small 8 walked by this AM head down majority of the time. With the drizzle or mist its pin quiet no leaves crunching. Head on a swivel day. I assume he was smelling for does.

To the previous post if you have not hunted out of state. I highly recommend it. I hear your rant.

I looked up from typing 8pt went by again. He will get shot by noon Saturday if he is not careful. Dumby.

JJJ,

Out of state hunting is what spoiled me! LOL

I was fortunate to hunt Boone County Iowa a couple of times during mid-Novemeber.

One Thanksgiving morning, I saw 11, yes 11 different bucks by noon.

Unbelieveable!!!!

All shapes and sizes too. LOL

Made a call today and have a buddy w/ family SE of Des Moines.

He's going down there for Turkey Day and gonna check things out.

Meanwhile I sat today on a oak ridge funnel between a bedding area and a food plot. Bucks like cruising this ridge this time of year. Sat from 11:30 to 5:30. Nothing!

My dad sat from 2 to 5:30 on a food plot on the west side of our property and saw a doe and 2 fawns.

Last Sunday my dad and bro saw 13 different deer between the two of them, all does and fawns.

Banging my head against the wall.

Brian