• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buck Chasing Does??

JJJ

Last Saturday am had a buck chasing a doe. He was too far away & too obscured to determine size, but there was no question about intent. Scrapes & rubs are starting to pop up. Seems like the am activity's been increasing the last week or so.

As of tonight, I have not seen one buck chasing a doe. I did see one buck on the trail camera and his neck was a bit larger but that's the extent of my rut activity. He hung in the area on my cameras with 3 does buck he was content just standing around from what I could see, a smaller 8 pointer, basket type.

I figure another week plus before the bigger bucks start to run a bit. Those basket bucks always seem to start first.

fork was having a clover salad with a nice doe by me tonight. 3 times I was ready to pull back on him between 20 and 35 yards but the shot never presented itself. Branches bad angles lol. and The doe never got under 40 yards. Another fun night.

I think the little ones run and chase more , the big bucks I find are strolling through

Big Bucks don't need to chase around, they just sit back and wait for when it's really time then they move in and take over.

Not that they don't chase but just not as often, you're way more likely to see the smaller bucks chasing and being excited.

[quote

Big Bucks don't need to chase around, they just sit back and wait for when it's really time then they move in and take over.

Not that they don't chase but just not as often, you're way more likely to see the smaller bucks chasing and being excited.

In 25 years on stand I have only seen a few bucks chasing does . That's sad , but I have shot a lot of nice bucks . I think the little ones run and chase more , the big bucks I find are strolling through

Come down to farm country if you want to see some chasing. grin I've only been bow hunting for about a half dozen years, and last year alone I had two magnificent encounters with bucks chasing does. My first chase in Cannon Falls had a nice 8 chasing 3 does all over the woods in front of me for 30 minutes.

While hunting in Faribault I had a huge 8 chasing the same doe come by my stand 3 times; the last time he chased her through they both were within 5 yards of my stand running full tilt.

Several years ago hunting in SD with the relatives I saw my first chase in fresh snow. It was like a scene from a hunting show I had watched a week earlier. Snow was coming up like a rooster tail off of both animals and the buck had his impressive rack pressed right up to her rear end--again, at full speed and going uphill in CRP land. My only regret was that I didn't have a camera or phone at that time capable of filming it.

Not one chance for a shot in any of these encounters, but I will never forget any of them. shocked

Sat last night and again this am for 2.5 hours. Nothing moving and I thought with these cooler temps, they would be on their feet.

Texted my son and his buddies up in North Dakota archery hunting and as of 8:30 this morning, none of them saw one deer this am so far.

Boy, sometimes you think you have them figured out and they would move in these cool temps, but nope, just one nice red fox.

Wow what a morning.. I'll put the entire post in the reports thread but let's just say that there was definitely some chasing go on, and by two very mature 140" + deer and one smaller, 120" deer.

Words cannot express how unhappy I am that I had to get down for work around 10:30.

Got to my stand at about 345 tonight. Was ready to go shortly there after, at 450, I catch movement out from my right side! Its about 80 yards out. I grab the bow and continue to watch, I am perfectly down wind! I get a good look when the deer is about 60 yards out, its a buck!!! I keep an eye on him, looking to see what size he is. All of the sudden the light hits his rack, or lack there of, he is a basket 6 point. I continue to watch wondering if he is going to follow the trail right to 22 yards of me. He does not, he stays about 45 yards out, which is out of my range due to brush and what not. I decide to to see how he reacts to a little grunting. I dont think that the deer in my area are chasing yet as far as I have seen, so this would be the perfect test for a deer I was not going to shoot. I give him a few grunts and he does not even flinch? A few minutes later a few more, nothing! So I decide to hit him with a bleat, nothing! It took him about 35t minutes from when I saw him to when I lost sight of him. No response to anything, he was in no hurry to get anywhere, and he acted totally relaxed. I have a ton of does in the woods around me, in fact he was on a heavily used doe trail, and nothing seemd to matter to him. I will be at it again now through rifle season, maybe he will hide out and get bigger for next year!!!