• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Large screen depthfinder mount

kerryd15

How are you mounting your larger screen, heavier units to the boat? Ram mount-what size, Cisco mount? Do you remove your units when not in use? Is there a quick disconnect one the back for the wiring? I would like to remove or move mine for road travel. Looking at a Humminbird 900 series. thanks

I have a Ram mount for my Birds, as far as a disconnect, I just unplug the units. Works fine for me. One up front and one on the counsel.

When I travel long distances, I always take the unit off but for 20-40 miles, I leave both units on the Ram mount and have never had any issues. I do check often to make sure they are tight.

For the unit on the dash, this is the one I used.

Humminbird RAM-111U

I use the same system as harvey lee:

Humminbird RAM-111U

I have a Humminbird 859 (basically the same size as 900) and it has been rock solid in large waves. My recommendation is to let the ram arm lay on the console and have the arm tightened down so it has an added support to ensure that your unit doesn't move when traveling across the water.

I have the largest rams with the 2.25" balls for my HDS units. Holds my HDS12 great even in heavy waves. I leave them on going down the road, but take them off when the boat is unattended. The rams spin off easy but the cables are kind of a pain to take off with 4 cables to each unit.

I put a Johnny Ray in my tiller for my graph. Wouldn't have it any other way. I can spin it to face the front or middle of the boat instantly without having to loosen anything.

If you get a bird, there is only one big plug to remove. If you run an ipilot it adds the threaded Ethernet cable.

I don't have as big of a screen,( I run Hum. 700 series) but use the ram mounts in front and along the console. Lets me lower the units down to the front deck and carpet between the console and dash when traveling to stay out of the wind where they are protected.

Ram mounts are great but they are expensive. I think that 2.25" is about $150.

Most people do not take their unit off the boat. When driving around a lake it amazing to see how many $1,000+ unit are just sitting out in the open. BUT I've also had two vehicles stolen from me so I am more cautious about that stuff than most.

I have found the Rams don't work the best for the larger screen graphs especially if you think you will find yourself running in rough water. They just don't seem to hold in my experience. Nothing worse than trying to concentrate on running the boat in rough seas and then have your graph start slipping or falling out of place. One of the solid mounted options that are out there is better way to go IMO.

I have found the Rams don't work the best for the larger screen graphs especially if you think you will find yourself running in rough water.
Agreed, though many times its because the owner bought a mount that is too small for the graph. I have heard great things about the Cisco mounts and I am going to puchase the RAM swingarm mount for at the console. Currently I use the 2" RAM ball mounts. There is movement but only on the roughest water.

Also using a shorter arm will lead to less movement as well. No leverage.

Boy I can say this, my Ram mounts have been as solid as one could expect. Both units stay in the position I have them and when I have been on the larger lakes, never an issue with either units coming loose, not once but I have them pretty tight.

I am sure there are other units as solid. No, the Ram's mounts are not cheap but the last 2 I purchased have been on the boat I have now for going on 8 years with zero issue so I am a very happy Ram customer.

On the front, I have a smaller 700 series and the one on the console is a 900 series unit.

Used Ram mounts in the past but, in my new boat on a 10 inch screen I'm going with Cisco----just got it in the mail.....it is very heavy duty and looks great.

Selling the old Ram mounts for sure...they are just not for me.