• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about planting birds on land

So I am not a big pheasant hunter and wanted to get on some birds with some of my family and the girl friends family.. Was thinking about going to a game farm but saw this posted on the HSOforum of the one by me.

"Attention Local Landowners!

We have pheasants available for pick up to release onto your land. You can build up your pheasant population or plant birds for your family hunting weekend. Please call us for further details regarding availability and pricing."

Now I am guessing the pricing per bird is going to be a lot better than if going to the game farm to hunt.

How many birds would one need to have a good hunt with 4-6 people? When should you release the birds prior to the hunt and where?

60 acres of soy 30 acres of corn 10 acres of sod 10 acres of swamp and tall grass field with 10 acres of hardwood trees is the layout.

I think the biggest difference between doing what you want to do and going to a game farm is everyone on your land needs to follow all the local laws and limits, only roosters and 2 birds a piece, stamp... Where on a game farm you can shoot hens and as many as you want to pay for. that being said I have done this several times and my advice is to not buy any more birds then you can legal have in position once dead, and when you plant them I would put them to sleep. So they don't fly off right away, and then give them 1-2 hours to wake up and go hunting. As far as where to put them, just have to use common sense there.

Thanks for the info I Think I am going to try it this way, Just watched a video on how to put them to sleep and plant them. I like the idea of doing it on our own land rather than a game farm.