• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

mn wheel house laws

jjack

So I picked up my first ice castle. Its a 6 1/2 by 14 toy hauler style. Do I need a license plate on the back?? And where do I go to register it for my shelter license? I've never owned a house I needed a shelter license for, only had pop ups before. Thanks!

Yes you need a license plate just like a regular trailer and anyplace that sells fishing license will sell you a shelter license.

If it's a single axle trailer in MN you don't need a license plate, just a lifetime tag on the tongue.

The way it was explained to me was if it is under 3000 Lbs and used strictly for ice fishing I can have the lifetime license. If it is over 3000 Lbs or is used for anything else, such as deer camp or summer camping, then I would need the RV plate. I have the 6.5 X 14 with the plate.

Built a 6.5' X 12' + 3'V last year. Local deputy registrar only asked about the weight and they went ahead and licensed it with a permanent tag. (I did have to include receipts to show I had already paid sales tax on the materials or I would have to pay sales tax again.)

The GVWR should be listed on a placard on the frame of the trailer and on the title if it has one or the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) if it doesn't have a title yet.

Up to 3000lb gets a permanent registration sticker, over 3000lb gets a license plate. Number of axles isn't a factor.

From the MN DPS site:

Policies and Procedures

​Trailers

Small utility trailers

3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight receive permanent registration. The registration sticker issued is displayed on the tongue of the vehicle.

Weighted Trailers

For trailers registered at over 3,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, that are not towed as a tractor-semi trailer combination. Registration is based on gross weight.

Expiration: February - plate must display year validation sticker and gross weight sticker.