• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A good dog nail clipper

Scott K

I have tried the dremel, and my dogs are afraid of the noise, and they fight it, to the point it takes 3 people to do one paw. I have a cheaper dog nail clippers, but one of my dogs nails crack every time I use it. This last time it cracked all the way up into the skin, and he had to miss the first couple weeks of the pheasant season because of it.

Should I just try more with the dremel?

I'd suggest using a good nail clipper with the stopper and if need be beyond that try the dremel to finish them off. I also found the dremel takes forever and my one lab likes getting her nails clipped as much as some people like having a dentist drill their teeth.

One other suggestion, call your vet. Over the years when I've brought one of my dogs in and I haven't kept up on the nails they do it for me. I'd bet they trim more nails in a month than you will in a lifetime. They may have some tips the rest of us don't use.

I've had some bad clippers that almost seem to squash the nail before it comes off, you want a nice crisp snap. Obviously avoid the quick.

I’ve always had a hard time seeing the quick on my dogs nails and a combination of that, subpar clippers, and my dogs love of the whole practice, lead me to just bring him in to the vet every time. Its like 10 or 15 bucks. In and out in about 5 min.

I guess I am somewhat spoiled that my dog doesn't care at all when I trim his nails and he has no issue with the dremel.

If you are having a tough time with the dogs nails and he hates having it done I'd suggest just taking the dog into a groomers to have them done. I have on occasion taken my dog to the groomers at Pet Smart and I think a nail grinding/trimming is like $6-8 or something like that and only takes a few minutes for someone who knows what they are doing. Well worth the money if your dog fights you. Its also a cheap way to make sure that its done right without damaging the nail in the process.

Do you guys really use "dremels" or the tool designed for dog nails.

When using a dremel are you careful not to heat up the nail/toe too much? The grinding tool designed for dog nails has low torque to avoid applying too much heat via grinding.