• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camp Ripley 2nd weekend

ANYFISH2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I packed up and moved. No deer seen at my first spot. I'm on the edge of a lake now with nice ridges around it. However, no deer trails or any sign. Gonna give it till 1 then try elsewhere. Agree on the number of hunters. Very few trucks around.

Nothing at my second spot. Took a little drive around 1:30 and talked to some guys. Almost all haven't seen a deer and very little sign. I did see two guys dragging one out. Unsure of what it was. My last spot here I finally found some good sign, two trails that intersect! It'd be nice if the wind died down.

I scouted two more spots and both were duds for fresh sign. At a new place now with a not so fresh scrape and rub. Couple intersecting trails but doesn't seem super actively used. Best I've managed to find though.

Dad left after lunch and called to say six deer were registered so far as he left. All bucks. Unknown sizes.

Well guys, I went home. My evening spot was a bust and it turns out I set up within 100yd of another hunter who was there all day and said he intends to go back there in the morning. Considering the marginal deer sign in that spot, it seemed like a waste for me to try to compete with him and the 4 or 5 other guys he said he saw walk through there in the morning... The other two areas I checked out mid-day were worthless too. I talked to one guy who wasn't even going to bother sitting for the evening, he just sat at the truck waiting for his two hunting partners.

And just to rub it in, right at the end of the river road before turning to get into the line again a big doe and fawn trotted across the road in front of me and a few other vehicles. smirk

I heard 40 but that was talk around the barracks.

Total of 6 deer seen for our group. 3 bucks, 3 does.

We're splitting up tomorrow to get looks at some different areas. I'm sure they'll just be someone else's old area though. wink

This is sad. I remember seeing so many deer and several big bucks each time I went there as a kid (80's). People used to come here from all over the country for 2 days of hunting at Ripley. Now it's a joke and they can't even get enough applicants for the tags. Then half of the guys with tags don't show up because watching paint dry sounds like more fun than hunting Ripley. I PRAY somebody with authority at Ripley reads this post.

Stop letting the MN DNR ruin this hunt! Take over the management of this hunt and your deer (wolves) NOW!